Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA

2. JoshU

JoshU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Ada, Ohio
    I am not sure why, with 37 posts and a over a year on this site that I am not able to add pics to threads yet. I would love to post some pics.

3. JoshU

JoshU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Ada, Ohio
    I have a question about combs. I know of a kid who has won numerous shows at county fair with a couple of roosters who have red combs. Everything I read on silkies says black to mawberry. Can anyone clear the comb coloration SOP up for me?

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Sounds to me like that judge doesn't know anything about Silkies. The comb is supposed to be Mulberry, not red. [​IMG]

5. lil mama

lil mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    The reason I ask is because I bought some beautiful silkies the breeder called " BQ " for $75 a piece. I wanted to show them this fall but I have never even been to a show . I just dont want to make a fool of myself by showing BQ. (actually my son will be showing them in the youth show)

6. lil mama

lil mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    OR
    Well hello there! [​IMG]

7. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    I have a cuckoo roo that has a red comb and yellow eyes , I was told is common for this color when I bought him. who knows maybe thats not even the right colorand now im wondering if he is pure ? I have another Roo from the same breeder with Red comb. Think I got the shaft ? now everybody is telling me they are no good to breed with but all the offspring have been beautiful. So now im selling both Roos. and want to post the correct info about them but I dont know so I guess its pet quality silkies would be correct :( wish I knew the right answer. to keep or not to keep
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  8. GoldBarRanch

GoldBarRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    x2 here

9. SilverSilkie

SilverSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Try to become Cuckoo Silkies with dark comb, skin, legs and eyes is the same as wanting a negro woman with blond hairs from herselve !

Cucula : here is a "genetic conflict" : the barring gene removes pigment from the skin, comb, eyes, legs etc ... while trying to produce the required dark pigment, typical for the Silkie, by the use of "Fm & id+"-genes. The barring gene always wins this genetic battle !

"Fm" : Fibromelanotic, expands the black pigment on fibres as skin, meat and bones
    "id+" : dermal melanotic, causes pigment spots on the epidermis

Read more about the Silkie cuckoo coloration and inheritance on this my webpage :
    http://sites.google.com/site/zijdehoenders/asa-newsletter-2-sparviero

I forgot to mention !
    Concerning your Cuckoo rooster coloration :
    You can see a (Silver) duckwing-mark in his wing-feathers so he have the Partridge ground-pattern (eb/eb) based on Silver (S/S) with the Barring gene (B/B)
    About his qualities : he have to less crest, he is intermediar between bearded and non bearded, he have no blue earlobes, his tail feathers are to long ... there are better ones but also worse ones. Since you say he produced good quality chicks continue with these, that is what is selection all about ;-)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    You could also have a show quality bird become a breeder due to an injury.
    I have a bird that got himself stuck in the compost bin, and injured his eye.
    I have other roosters that have gotten frostbite on their combs, or even a broken, or cut off (by accident!) toe.
    Still genetically good, but won't do well in the shows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by