Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Thank you!!! What a beautiful photo of your birds!! You have such an incredible variety of greys! I have it on my to do list to ship you eggs some day. Hope it works out!

2. Yay!! Thanks!!!

3. What a great thing to know!!! Thanks!!!

4. [​IMG] I'm still working on line two..... [​IMG]

5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

6. Well said. Thanks!

7. marlo1968

marlo1968 Songster

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    MY SILKIE, LOVEY, LAID AN EGG!!! [​IMG]32 days after bringing her home she laid her first egg!!!! [​IMG][​IMG] My camera is out of batteries so a pic later

8. ThaiChick

ThaiChick Chirping

Oct 13, 2011
    STL, Missouri
    Everyone's pics are great. And the info outstanding. It's a great comfort to a silkie newbie!

9. Debbi

Debbi Crowing

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Good explaination, and good to see you back here Sonoran! Let it be said too, that even the top Show Quality birds sometimes do not "throw" themselves into their chicks. You can breed two excellent specimens of the breed, and get a clutch of mediocre chicks. I have a roo here that is what I consider Breeder Quality, as he consistently throws beautiful pullets. Can't say he does the same with the cockerels, but all of his pullets are quite lovely. To look at him, he is nothing special, and he has his faults. His wings are not carried horizontally at all. He does not have much of a beard or crest. But he does have excellent shank/foot feathering, a very short back, good skin and eye color, good comb, and good size. He throws his good qualities to the pullet chicks, and they all have nice tight wings and horizontal carriage. He shortens their backs too, and surprisingly, they all have lovely crests and beards! The cockerels he throws all have his wing problem, and for some reason, longer backs, but he does throw a deeper blue partridge color to them. I guess it's all a matter of knowing your birds and watching what they throw, then compensate from there. That said, I won't breed any bird with a DQ, faults yes, but not a DQ. That's just me.

10. Adriennesmom

Adriennesmom Chirping

Dec 14, 2011
    Monterey, California
    Adorable babies[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by