Silkie thread!

_MG_8673.jpg
Here is one of the first ever babies of my silkies. She/he is 7 weeks old here. The crest seems female to me, what do you think?
_MG_8672.jpg
_MG_8695.jpg

Try to become Cuckoo Silkies with dark comb, skin, legs and eyes is the same as wanting a negro woman with blond hairs from herselve !

Cucula : here is a "genetic conflict" : the barring gene removes pigment from the skin, comb, eyes, legs etc ... while trying to produce the required dark pigment, typical for the Silkie, by the use of "Fm & id+"-genes. The barring gene always wins this genetic battle !

"Fm" : Fibromelanotic, expands the black pigment on fibres as skin, meat and bones
"id+" : dermal melanotic, causes pigment spots on the epidermis

Read more about the Silkie cuckoo coloration and inheritance on this my webpage :
http://sites.google.com/site/zijdehoenders/asa-newsletter-2-sparviero

I forgot to mention !
Concerning your Cuckoo rooster coloration :
You can see a (Silver) duckwing-mark in his wing-feathers so he have the Partridge ground-pattern (eb/eb) based on Silver (S/S) with the Barring gene (B/B)
About his qualities : he have to less crest, he is intermediar between bearded and non bearded, he have no blue earlobes, his tail feathers are to long ... there are better ones but also worse ones. Since you say he produced good quality chicks continue with these, that is what is selection all about ;-)
Thanks SilverSilkie I was hoping youd chime in your the best ! So are you saying he is Partridge and NOT Cuckoo ? Or was one of his parents partridge? His chicks have all been partridges and whites . And he does have faint blue ear lobes but one side shows more then the other.

Back
Top Bottom