Silkie thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 16, 2010.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have some Silkie eggs hatching today- I'm SO eggcited!! I've never hatched Silkies before, so here's hoping for the best!

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. peepblessed

Yout chick has quite a large comb for it's age. I think you likely have a boy.

4. peepblessed

Awwwww! Your chicks are beautiful!!! They look splash to me but I have had at least one this color that turned light blue. Either way you'll have some beauties!!

5. peepblessed

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sonoran-- or anyone who knows about beaks! I have a problem. I was going thru my chicks this morning (getting ready to sell off obvious faults) and I came across this chick. The beak has bent sideways. I don't remember this bird looking like this. In fact, I banded it to keep because it has great toes! So between the time I banded it and now.... THIS happened. Is this cross beak... or what the heck happened to this bird? Can't be from an injury, I don't believe. At least... I don't know?? Ideas on this bird??

This baby is 5 weeks old now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  7. Basel

Basel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Yes. Thanks. I know they shouldn't be any shade of Red, but I guess some coloring could occur if it goes towards mulberry???... What age would that be?

8. anbsmom

anbsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    I know next to nothing about this particular problem, but could it be that one side of the beak grew faster than the other?

9. Basel

Basel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Thanks! I can see that.... :) I just hope his new home loves him as he is soooo sweet.

10. chitown chicks

chitown chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    I don't have any silkies to show off *totally jealous* but rather hoping to have a couple questions answered regarding silkies and other hens.
    We've been thinking about chickens for years and have finally found a house in a town that allows backyard birds so I'm running before my feet even hit the ground. lol
    We'd hoped to start with a few silkies, something more like a pet for the kids. Silkies have been recommended by many as a first chicken for us although, after reading about breeds here I'm not sure as there are so many sweet breeds. We definitely want to add laying hens so I'm wondering now if it's a good idea to get the silkies first and then add laying hens later. Should we skip the silkies altogether? Get everything at once? I'm hoping to have 2-4 laying hens that are docile, calm, friendly, quiet, something that won't be a bother to our new neighbors.
    We like the idea of a tractor, it seems so easy, you don't have to clean out the bottom. Just move them to a new, clean space. I'm not against a stationary coop but would want a tractor to allow the hens to free range at least a little bit, especially when I'm running errands. The chickens could be out in the tractor/s with the dog in the yard to protect them. (see the anatolian to the left;-)

My goals in having chickens are to have pets to love, educate my children, provide eggs for my family, control the feed content, control insect population in my yard, and fertilize my yard and garden.

Advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by