Silkie thread!

So glad sciencechick brought up silkie haircuts! I believe I will do this today. My husband came home last evening and there was a red tail hawk sitting in the pine tree right outside my coop! He said he thought he was up to no good because the limb he was perched on was only 15 feet off the ground!

So how do I go about trimming the pouf around the eyes so my birds have a fighting chance while foraging?

I don't think you can trim a silkie enough to keep it safe, but for sure you would need to trim it's crest nearly off.

Question for all.
Could you mix 3 week difference in age silkies? Watching closely of course. Perhaps when the younger ones are a week or so and sturdy on their feet?

hu.gif

Thanks, I might try to hatch some more.
cool.png

Yep. I'm convinced it's a boy now..
Thing is, the parent stock is not SQ at all. That's why the beautiful round crest confused me. It's not my bird, but it was hatched from my eggs. At least my silkie can produce better quality chicks than they are
tongue.png

The chick is 14 weeks old.
Girl8weeks2-1.jpg

Here is one of my own that is 10 weeks. Now I'm scared that it won't be a girl
hmm.png

Though the one I was talking about has the personality of a rooster and the one above is very submissive compared to the others..
Boy8weeks.jpg

Oh and I have this possible cockerel (10 weeks) that is from the same 2 parents, but has a male crest at 10 weeks old. It's strange how there are so many variances among them.. This one above has the personality of a pullet as well, but I would guess cockerel based on the appearance. Should I wait to be sure?
Girl8weeks.jpg

Here is a white one with a round crest (also 10 weeks)
100_4719.jpg

Another...
100_4720.jpg

100_4721.jpg

and this is the last one.

Very pretty babies!!

Question for all.
Could you mix 3 week difference in age silkies? Watching closely of course. Perhaps when the younger ones are a week or so and sturdy on their feet?

hu.gif

Thanks, I might try to hatch some more.
cool.png

I wait till the babies are a couple of weeks old then make sure they have a safe place to scurry if the get picked on. I also trim the very tiny point off the older chicks beak. I'm talking less than 1/16th inch.

One of my babies is a black lav split. I love the "salt and pepper" coloring some of these get, like the below picture of one of CJ Silkies gorgeous birds:

From CJ Silkies:

Might my baby below [from a CJ Silkies egg] have this coloring?:

Thanks!

I wait till the babies are a couple of weeks old then make sure they have a safe place to scurry if the get picked on. I also trim the very tiny point off the older chicks beak. I'm talking less than 1/16th inch.

Excellent advice, thanks!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom