Silkie thread!

Hawkeye, thank you so much for the link about split-wing. I tried to follow the discussion the other day but could not log into the other site because I'm not a member. The pictures from 'Hattrick' were SO helpful and I feel like I know what I'm looking for now. Also, thank you for examples of correct "type". I guess I'm a visual person because it all makes since now! By the way, do you think we can TEACH a few of our silkies how to stand and have the "look"-LOL! Or is it a "if they've got it they've got it" kind of thing?
No you can not teach them. You're right-- they have it or they don't. They should naturally stand in a way that shows off their type, and if it's bad, it won't get any better. Like my white rooster I showed above-- he was terrible.

Her chest isn't as round as it should be but she is just barely 4 months old so hopefully it will fill in.

Light toenails are not a DQ. Maybe lose a point or two and yes they are passed on. That splash was the only one that looked roo to me.
Yes, she is gorgeous so far!! I bet she fills in a lot-- 4 months still has so much more to go! Can't wait to see what happens with her! :) I love her cushion/tail.

Hi! I have got a trio of Silkies, a pullet a cockerel and 1 who we aren't sure what sex he/she is. Is it true that Silkies stop laying in the summer?

No you can not teach them. You're right-- they have it or they don't. They should naturally stand in a way that shows off their type, and if it's bad, it won't get any better. Like my white rooster I showed above-- he was terrible.

Yes, she is gorgeous so far!! I bet she fills in a lot-- 4 months still has so much more to go! Can't wait to see what happens with her! :) I love her cushion/tail.

Thanks, Hawkeye! I'm so anxious to see how she turns out! :)

WHERE IS YOUR BREEDER ? are they off 81 or 95? I want day old chicks do they sell them i do not have a incubator.

She lives in Keswick (near Charlottesville), I believe I took 64 to get there. I was following my GPS, so didn't pay much attention to route numbers and street names. She had chicks for sale the last time I went to see her. If you want, you can PM me. I'm pretty sure I have her card somewhere, I can give you her name and number so you can call her ;)

do silkies stop laying at age 4? What age do they stop laying eggs please and thank you.
They are like other chickens - they are born with the # of eggs they will lay in their lifetime. If they are constantly going broody, I would think they would lay for quite some time. I have a hen right now that is a good 3 years, and she is my older girl. She still lays regularly (when not broody mind you!)

Ok guys--I heard back about the pretty trio...the roo is 2 1/2 years and the hens are 2 years old. Is this too old
old.gif
to give me a good number of babies and get my breeding program started? I want to go look at them tomorrow, but wanted some input. Thanks so much for all the help!
AND, I have chicks pipping!!!
yesss.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom