Silkie thread!

Cindersga, thanks for sharing pics of your gorgeous babies! I was so excited to see them, because I just set some catdance eggs in my incubator. My eggs had to travel across country too. I was very impressed with her packing, so I'm very hopeful to get a good hatch. Your pics just intensified my excitement. Congrats!
ya.gif
You are going to love your babies!!! I received 10 eggs. Only 2 were infertile, one was a quitter, and one egg fell out of nesting box and broke open but it did have a living chick inside
hit.gif
broke my heart. So I have these 6 wonderful chicks. One of each color...how cool is that? How much longer do you have? What colors did you get 4mom82? Cindy

I am not a complete expert nor a complete idiot. :lol: ;) But, I think the toe issue is fairly minor and that if you were to breed them, they coukd have normal toed chicks. As long as they have five toes that is good. Not all are perfectly spaced. I hatched a lobster toed one too. (2claws to one toe). It does happen. Probably someone more knowledgable will have some advice. :)

O thats sad when an egg breaks and there is a living chick inside. :hugs

There are some vaccinations you can give your chicks. They are usually given when they are fairly young. McMurray sells some and JeffersLivestock sells some. There are also instructions on how to give shots on the computer I could link you to if interested.

Last edited:
I do have one chick that has a little piece of extra toe nail sticking out of the side of it's last toe. Don't know what to do about that. Also another one has the last two half way fused together and again don't know if I should get help with that or not.
I'm certainly no expert on silkie toes either, but I've done a lot of reading and research. The chick with the extra nail, I would not use that bird for breeding or show (it would be DQ'd if the judge noticed it).

The bird with the partially fused toes, if it's perfect in every other way, I would use it, but be very aware of watching for problems in chicks it produces. Of course, if it's a roo, I wouldn't use it. That would just be putting the issue over all your girls.

On the other hand, if your purpose is only to produce backyard pets, then just keep and use any birds you like.

Deb

Lord someone stop me from taking out an innocent dog with a bad owner.

I can't seem to catch a break thankfully every-fluffy-body is alright since my DH adopted a $10 Lab/Dalmatian. He just earned his keep today!

Hubby and I are sitting in the living room watching a movie when our Daly/lab Dizzy starts freaking out, barking at the window, pointing doing anything to get our attention, we go over to see what the commotion was about. We get over in time to see my SG roo, LFB, being chased and caught by the neighbors dog. I shout startling the dog to release the bird (Thank god!) and he runs under our stock trailer...

I grab the dog by what ever I can and throw him in the trailer and start hunting for my scattered flock. Mind you it was raining when the attack happened, so of the birds we found right off the bat, they were pathetic, shaking and my other roo, Mustachio, was in shock, breathing hard and not moving much, same with my non-bearded hen, Momma. Of the 11 birds I have, we found 6 right away, both roos, Momma, Lucy, Thelma and either Snow Pea or Whatamess (They look very similar when wet...) thanks to the help of my basset hound, Delilah and Dizzy.

Around dark, they all came out of the wood work (STS), so I know they are alive, 10 went back to the coop, the only hen on the lamb is my black hen, Psyco... (she acts really crazy if you get near/touch her...)

My question is, would you call animal control on the dog? The neighbor doesn't speak a lick of English and I know no Spanish so there is a huge language barrier there. I have had issues with this dog crossing the road near a blind hill with a speed limit of 45mph where everyone goes 50-60... I have chased it back to its yard almost daily. The neighbor seems to "collect" strays, there are at least 3 big dogs and 2 small that are always out side and try to come over to our yard. Today was the straw that broke the camels back though because it chased and caught my birds.

What would you all do, its all I can do to keep myself from "culling" it?

Again, thanks for your input. And here is a photo of Dizzy, my wonder pup who helped save my birds.
Funny update on the stray that chased my flock, my co-worker saw him at the shelter and is looking to adopt him. She lives in town where there are no chickens to chase. Only squirrels and cats.

Behold...... PRINCESS FLUFFY. Names that to spite my other half. He was making fun of my name suggestions and said "if you are gonna name her a stupid name like that you may as well call her Princess Fluffy". Needless to say the name has stuck and he is slightly bent out of shape for even opening his mouth now. Such sweet revenge.
Onto the pics. This girl is probably my best bird from the last hatch. What a looker for 5mo of age.
5937ACE6-E190-4F5A-9F0C-A91E08BA1A4A-275-0000004A1B95CD5D_zpsa3b2a813.jpg

1DDBE845-49AF-483A-B5D2-DFCAA46B78BB-275-0000004A242F9088_zps75cb619a.jpg
ALL HAIL. to princess FLUFFY

I am getting some new pure bred silkies, 1 black 2 brown in a couple of weeks, so excited ive already named them

1black Slikie- "Berries" (as in black berries)
1brown Silkie- "Fudge"
1brown Silkie- "Puddles" (as in mud puddles because of her colour)

Last edited:
I have a brownish silkie that is not partridge, but I don't believe there are many chocolate silkies available. I wonder why it is such a hard colour to master? :/ I don't know enough about the chocolate genetics to understand it :p
FloraMae.jpg
ETA: Image. Like I said "Brown-ish" Best brood hen I have. She's on her second time this year with me and I've only had her since mid July.

Last edited:
I have a brownish silkie that is not partridge, but I don't believe there are many chocolate silkies available.
I wonder why it is such a hard colour to master?
hmm.png
I don't know enough about the chocolate genetics to understand it
tongue.png

FloraMae.jpg

ETA: Image. Like I said "Brown-ish"
Best brood hen I have. She's on her second time this year with me and I've only had her since mid July.
Think that maybe she is a very dark partridge? It looks like she has some gold on her neck.

Back
Top Bottom