Silkie thread!

Oh geez I can't decide
hmm.png
You cant go wrong
smile.png
My whites are sooo pretty.. but they get dirty... My personal favorites are black and partridge but there isnt a color I dont like... If they are for pets just get an assortment! I dont know if you have been to see them in person or just through the advertising .. if you can go visit a breeder or to a show, Im sure you will be more attracted to one color over the others.

8 chicks from the assorted bantam bin at TSC makes one very happy Silkie momma! I wasn't sure how she'd react to them (1st time mom), but I gave them to her in broad daylight. When she heard that peeping box she jumped off the eggs she was sitting on and started clucking up a storm. She positioned herself right next to the food and water, and as I sat each baby in front of her she tried to roll them under like eggs
gig.gif
I've been checking everyone often, and she softly "talking" to them and picking up little tid bits she finds in the shavings
love.gif
Thank goodness, I've been trying to break her for weeks! Now she can be a mom and put some meat back on her bones!
Nikki
What a good girl!!!
The comb on the rooster doesn't look like a walnut comb. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Here's a picture I found through Google. It's a white bearded rooster named Elliot, owned by BarnGoddess01. He has a walnut comb.

This boy has a beautiful comb but it's not typical. Walnut combs very a lot in appearance.

Dakota and one of the silkies
love.gif

Although this photo may look like a cute bonding moment, follow his line of site to a little brown lump in front of the silkie. That was a pile of silkie poo that was scarfed down by Kota right after this picture was taken
sickbyc.gif
Although he may be a doll, he's still a dog and does nasty dog things
roll.png
Such a cute photo!
RockerHen love that photo...my dogs love chicken poo as well
sickbyc.gif

sun was out so i put my almost 3 mth olds out for some sun...they were babies from my splash roo and my avatar and her sister....

two of them seem white but the others are quite blue in hue and some have great dark splashes...I think i might use them with my splash pen...
Beautiful juveniles!!
Gidget- 5 months

Lucille- the sky is falling 5 months

Vivian 4 months

Lucille again

Mama (no name yet) and her baby duckie (2 weeks old)
All very lovely.
thumbsup.gif

Dakota and one of the silkies
love.gif

Although this photo may look like a cute bonding moment, follow his line of site to a little brown lump in front of the silkie. That was a pile of silkie poo that was scarfed down by Kota right after this picture was taken
sickbyc.gif
Although he may be a doll, he's still a dog and does nasty dog things
roll.png
Oh my gosh, I'm so glad my dogs aren't the only ones doing that. I have to get onto them everytime they follow me into the run - Stop! You're eating all my fertilizer!
lau.gif

You'd think it was filet mignon of something.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I could use some feed help again! What's a good place to read about feeds for Silkies? What they need or do not need? Should I look into buying a book...and what would be a good book to have? For some reason, I can't seem to be finding the right information. All my saved websites, of course, are in the favorites folder of my old laptop that died.

Also, we got a back of this Blue Seal multi-flock starter/grower in crumble. I was thinking of mixing that with this feed: http://www.handhsoyfreechickenfeed.com/ORDER-20-lb--Starter-or-Layer.html
Blue Seal feed http://bluesealstores.com/catalog/product/35522/home-fresh-multi-flock-startergrower-pellets
Would that be a bad idea?

Another question I have is that the first ingredient in the Blue Seal feeds is ground corn. Will my white birds turn yellow due to this? Or will a small amount like that mixed in the feed itself really do anything? Now I'm worried about anything yellow due to one of our workers who was feeding the birds cracked corn (and I didn't know about it) and my beautiful little white cochin bantam cockerel turned yellow.
barnie.gif
I was going to show him but I don't dare take him anywhere with yellow hackles etc.. The only white Silkie pullet I'm not worried about, I'll never show her. She can be yellow all she wants. lol I really don't know what to do with her...to keep her or sell? Having chickens and making these decisions is so difficult!
lau.gif

I could use some feed help again! What's a good place to read about feeds for Silkies? What they need or do not need? Should I look into buying a book...and what would be a good book to have? For some reason, I can't seem to be finding the right information. All my saved websites, of course, are in the favorites folder of my old laptop that died.

Also, we got a back of this Blue Seal multi-flock starter/grower in crumble. I was thinking of mixing that with this feed: http://www.handhsoyfreechickenfeed.com/ORDER-20-lb--Starter-or-Layer.html
Blue Seal feed http://bluesealstores.com/catalog/product/35522/home-fresh-multi-flock-startergrower-pellets
Would that be a bad idea?

Another question I have is that the first ingredient in the Blue Seal feeds is ground corn. Will my white birds turn yellow due to this? Or will a small amount like that mixed in the feed itself really do anything? Now I'm worried about anything yellow due to one of our workers who was feeding the birds cracked corn (and I didn't know about it) and my beautiful little white cochin bantam cockerel turned yellow.
barnie.gif
I was going to show him but I don't dare take him anywhere with yellow hackles etc.. The only white Silkie pullet I'm not worried about, I'll never show her. She can be yellow all she wants. lol I really don't know what to do with her...to keep her or sell? Having chickens and making these decisions is so difficult!
lau.gif
I had that issue too with Hachi. Corn will turn them yellow, so will marigold (celandula). They do sell corn and soy free foods as well, but it's pricey. I fed the blue seal multi-flock for a long time and I had no issues, but I did mix it with other grains to reduce the amount of corn intake.

Back
Top Bottom