Silkie thread!

Do any of you free range your silkies? I have two silkies in my flock. They are my boys favorite birds cause they are so pretty to look at and gentle. We hatched them a few months ago and for some reason my boys have bonded with these two particular girls. Well they are slow and my husband says they are blind cause of all the feathers on their heads. I am afraid if I let them in the yard they would be the easiest target. I don't worry as much about my BR or even my cochins.

Right now I have one Silkie who is "free ranging" with the group of other almost two month olds. She keeps up with the rest - but she can not see if something comes from above. The same is true of all crested birds.

They are not blind ahead or to the sides (unless they have huge beards too). I like to pick them up - pull their crest feathers up with my fingers and push their beard feathers down - they almost fall asleep when I do this. They can see better for awhile - I think they like it too...

Since my search for a "Silkie Chicken Helmet" has turned up fruitless.......Does anyone have tips on integrating my Silkie (who's currently mothering a Dominique and Polish) into my flock of 5 RSL?

I was thinking about waiting to put them all together when the polish and Dominique are the same size as my big girls...and if that doesn't work I guess I'll separate the entire flock of RSL as individuals for a couple of days and then add them all together.... So if anyone has tips I'm all ears!

Do any of you free range your silkies? I have two silkies in my flock. They are my boys favorite birds cause they are so pretty to look at and gentle. We hatched them a few months ago and for some reason my boys have bonded with these two particular girls. Well they are slow and my husband says they are blind cause of all the feathers on their heads. I am afraid if I let them in the yard they would be the easiest target. I don't worry as much about my BR or even my cochins.

I let my silkie wander around but only when she has a haircut... She sees pretty good then.

Since my search for a "Silkie Chicken Helmet" has turned up fruitless.......Does anyone have tips on integrating my Silkie (who's currently mothering a Dominique and Polish) into my flock of 5 RSL?

I was thinking about waiting to put them all together when the polish and Dominique are the same size as my big girls...and if that doesn't work I guess I'll separate the entire flock of RSL as individuals for a couple of days and then add them all together.... So if anyone has tips I'm all ears!
Silkie Helmet? Whatever for? If you have a vaulted skull it grows over when they get older - and gets thick.

Oh, and you might be quite surprised who comes out on top in the battle of RSL vs Silky Broody - those Broodys have ATTITUDE!
Quote: Try using hair tape. That way her feathers can stay out of her eyes - and you won't have to cut anything. It might also protect her from the top - most birds will pick at the top of the mass - and not even get close to her head...

Last edited:
So one of my 6-7 month old silkies finally laid their first egg. I have a rooster/cockeral in there that is 4-5 months and just started crowing today. I cracked open the egg and it looks fertile but I would think he would be too young to mate with her. So my question is... is it fertile? I see the ring but I was wrong before, so just want clarification.

I had only let my silkies out of the pen for 10 minutes today, when a white goshawk came in and tried to take little sqizzy. My favorite silkie has a big Pom Pom and is bearded, she often walks into me , I know that she wouldn't even see him coming, so I'm a little bit protective of her. I have a goat and a pony in the big run and they seem to deter the predators. The roosters really are crucial for the safety of your flock. Watching them today I could see that the 2 Roos were going to take the hawk on, they would have come off 2nd best but luckily I was there to save there tails.

Yes. I free range if I start them young. I bought adults that never free ranged a day in their life, and I won't.

If they are started early in life, they seem much more 'street' smart.

So one of my 6-7 month old silkies finally laid their first egg. I have a rooster/cockeral in there that is 4-5 months and just started crowing today. I cracked open the egg and it looks fertile but I would think he would be too young to mate with her. So my question is... is it fertile? I see the ring but I was wrong before, so just want clarification.
No that's not fertile.

4-5 months old is young for a silkie to successfully mate in my experience. They seem to take a while to achieve the proper balance it takes to hit the right target.

Theoretically mahogany (as in RIR) plus lavender might give a pinkish bird.

Alternatively, you could try crossing your silkie with a flamingo...
lau.gif
gig.gif

Some of my white silkies have started crowing. I have at least three Roos maybe more. I can't keep that many soooo if anyone is in the New Durham, NH area and wants a silkie roo let me know. Djgiffordrn at aol dot com. I just got them last spring at TSC so they aren't super pretty

Sorry if I've already posted this here before but I get confused as to which thread I post on - this one or the other silkie thread, but does anyone know what color these chicks are or will I have to wait until they feather out more? One hatched a light grey color so I assumed it was a lighter blue and the other hatched with the grey and some yellow feathering so I was sure if it was a true blue or not. Mom was a splash, dad was a lavender split blue. Sorry the pics arent the greatest, I tried taking pics in the most natural light possible.

Here they are hanging out with the bunny...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom