Silkie thread!

Thank you! I picked then up Saturday and I don't think I have done any housework or anything since they got here. I just sit and watch them lol

welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like you have the bug for sure...........................
lol.png

My husband and I are retired and spend many hours watching our chickens............
A few years back there was a thread for the purpose of sharing stories about
having chairs by the coop ect. One lady said she started out watching the chickens, then was joined by her DH......
later had to add chairs for her neighbors.....................

Blacks that are based on E (Extended Black) have white tipped feathers. We just don't usually see them on Silkies because Silkie Blacks are not usually based on E. I think somebody crossed in something (perhaps Cochin for Sizzles) and brought Extended Black into the Silkie lines. Your chicks are the second ones that look like E based Black Silkies I have seen. First ones were very distinct - white bellies and black tops (Penguins). Sumatras are E based and the chicks have white wing tips and look like a Penguin.. They don't have feathers on their feet, so I don't know if it would hold true there as well. It does disappear completely when they grow up, and their black is very black.

Actually, I see a lot of white tipped black silkie chicks
hu.gif
Including mine

Blacks that are based on E (Extended Black) have white tipped feathers. We just don't usually see them on Silkies because Silkie Blacks are not usually based on E. I think somebody crossed in something (perhaps Cochin for Sizzles) and brought Extended Black into the Silkie lines. Your chicks are the second ones that look like E based Black Silkies I have seen. First ones were very distinct - white bellies and black tops (Penguins). Sumatras are E based and the chicks have white wing tips and look like a Penguin.. They don't have feathers on their feet, so I don't know if it would hold true there as well. It does disappear completely when they grow up, and their black is very black.

well, the older one, who has more distinct white markings and is over all light in color, who isn't pictured, is getting foot feathers, which is dark... so the white on the feet is not staying, thank goodness!

All I know, is that the rooster is a catdance, and my female, I have no idea what her genetics are.

These are some of the ones I've hatched. I love silkies. There are so sweet and they are the only ones that don't mess up their food and water. And of course the cutest chicks ever. The one on the end was splay legged but I taped his legs. He's much better but not quite what he should be. I had one of my buffs had a slipped knee that I couldn't fix. It was like that for a week. But she got along fine. Now I can't tell which she was because none of them have a bad leg. I thought somehow I just kept missing it but they are all walking fine now. DO the dark ones look like they might be partridges?
nice colors!!

Also, I just bought a breeding pair of splash silkies, yay!, and the lady gave me a dozen splash eggs to hatch. I have them in my incubator, but id really rather my silkie mom to hatch these herself since she hatches better than I do lol. But she hatched her babies a few weeks ago and is still taking care of them. Could I take the babies and put them in the brooder, and put some dummy eggs back in the nest to see if she will go broody again? Or would that work? Thanks everyone
. That would probably work.

Back
Top Bottom