Silkie thread!

How do u DNA test them? What is the process & how long does it take?

you simply pluck about three feathers off the birds chest and lable that sample so you know which bird it comes from. ( I use colored leg band) I would as a example label the sample buff red meaning buff with red leg band or buff green meaning buff with green leg band. Do each sample seprately in its own envelope labled as to which chick it comes from then get a bigger envelope and send off all the samples put into the bigger envelope. Once the sample arrives it takes about two days for results. The lab I use ONLY costs ten dollars a sample! Its called Accu-metrics. Its in canada but serves world wide. I do recommend RUSHING the shipping. I live in California and didn't rush my shipping and that took the longest so I recommend rushing it. but its that simple pluck the feathers and send them out.i do recommend using the color leg band system so they're won't be any confusion.results will read as a example buff green female or buff red male. The leg bands system is really nice hope this answers your questions.

Thanks! Hens and Roos are all together - so this batch was like a box of chocolates....not sure what you are going to get! I JUST got the last batch sold off. I wait until they are feathered out and don't need heat lamp and are independent (but pre "sexing"), and the last of my extra roos (which took forever)...so here I go again! I think I will keep the colors I do not have girls of (partridge) and grow them out hoping for girsl, and sell the chicks at about 8 weeks.

I was at a poultry show a couple of weeks ago and someone made a comment that silkies throw more "roos" . Has this been anyone elses experience? It certainly was when I hatched last spring and grew them out. I got 15 boys, 7 girls.....
he.gif
I am guessing that I have more boys than girls in my hatch as well. The boys seem to be pretty obvious to me, even at 2 1/2 weeks. They are larger, bolder, combs are wider and are getting their head feathers in first. My favorite, a porcelain, looks to be a pullet though
big_smile.png

Hi and Welcome to the Silkie Thread!

No. If the birds you have do not have naked necks then they didn't get that gene - an you will not get any Showgirls. You may get birds with red ears or red combs/wattles from the grandparentage - but you will not get Showgirls. If it is there - it will show - if it doesn't show - its not there. And White and White always produce White. Only color in Silkies that is consistent. Cross out to any other color - and you will get your mixed colors.

Thank you ever so much :) I do have one partridge show girl hen. Still debating whether or not she will go in with the white roosters or not. I will have to learn to recognize her eggs ;)

oh and edited to ASK...are the red ear lobes and or comb not acceptable for the breed?

Last edited:
Quote:
The ear lobes are supposed to be Blue - and the comb is supposed to be either black or dark mullberry, so red is not acceptable for the Silkies. I don't know if the red colors are considered a fault or a disqualification though. Any wattles are supposed to be minimal - although beardless can (and do) have slightly larger wattles. The proper comb will suppress the wattles almost entirely - so it looks like no wattles. Bringing in the Showgirls can cause the red color and wattles to show up again.

If you hatch your Partridge Showgirl's eggs they will be pretty obvious they are hers - she will be the only one who throws Showgirls - and she will be the only one with oddball colors. All the other chicks from the other White hens will be White. Does your Showgirl have a White parent? Because if she did then she can throw White chicks too.

Thanks! Hens and Roos are all together - so this batch was like a box of chocolates....not sure what you are going to get! I JUST got the last batch sold off. I wait until they are feathered out and don't need heat lamp and are independent (but pre "sexing"), and the last of my extra roos (which took forever)...so here I go again! I think I will keep the colors I do not have girls of (partridge) and grow them out hoping for girsl, and sell the chicks at about 8 weeks.

I was at a poultry show a couple of weeks ago and someone made a comment that silkies throw more "roos" . Has this been anyone elses experience? It certainly was when I hatched last spring and grew them out. I got 15 boys, 7 girls.....
he.gif

I don't know if they do, but of the eleven silkie chicks I got this spring, six are roosters, three are hens and one is still unknown, although I'm thinking rooster and one died before sex could be determined. I have a broody sitting on two silkie eggs and I'm hoping they both hatch out girls.

My chickies are between 2 weeks and 1 month this week. So here are some updated pics.

The two youngest, just two weeks old as of monday....

These guys will be 3 week on friday and saturday...

And then Blue Bell and little Chance. They are a month old. They were in my cochin broodies hatch.

And the whole crew watching NCIS with us last night. :)

Last edited:
So an update on my little girl who has head trauma. She is still alive, haha. She is very thin, but I am feeding her multiple times a day with a syringe and feeding tube. Her food is a slurry of pellets, baby parrot formula, vitamin/electrolyte powder, and water. Sometimes I run it through a strainer to make syringe feeding easier if I have time.

She has perked up, and has started to "talk" again like she used to :) . She still doesn't do a whole lot all day, and she won't eat and drink on her own yet...but hopefully we'll get there.

Here she is during my lunch break. She's been coming to work with me everyday since this happened.

Last edited:
So an update on my little girl who has head trauma. She is still alive, haha. She is very thin, but I am feeding her multiple times a day with a syringe and feeding tube. Her food is a slurry of pellets, baby parrot formula, vitamin/electrolyte powder, and water. Sometimes I run it through a strainer to make syringe feeding easier if I have time. She has perked up, and has started to "talk" again like she used to :) . She still doesn't do a whole lot all day, and she won't eat and drink on her own yet...but hopefully we'll get there. Here she is during my lunch break. She's been coming to work with me everyday since this happened.
She is so cute, glad she's starting to show improvement.

you simply pluck about three feathers off the birds chest and lable that sample so you know which bird it comes from. ( I use colored leg band) I would as a example label the sample buff red meaning buff with red leg band or buff green meaning buff with green leg band. Do each sample seprately in its own envelope labled as to which chick it comes from then get a bigger envelope and send off all the samples put into the bigger envelope. Once the sample arrives it takes about two days for results. The lab I use ONLY costs ten dollars a sample! Its called Accu-metrics. Its in canada but serves world wide. I do recommend RUSHING the shipping. I live in California and didn't rush my shipping and that took the longest so I recommend rushing it. but its that simple pluck the feathers and send them out.i do recommend using the color leg band system so they're won't be any confusion.results will read as a example buff green female or buff red male. The leg bands system is really nice hope this answers your questions.

Back
Top Bottom