Silkie thread!

I've never bathed any of my birds except a D'Uccle's feet that had broken a vein feather and I was doctoring.
Oh ok...maybe I will just clean their feet up a little bit...a couple of them are a little bit nasty...
sickbyc.gif
My kids like to hold them and don't want to have pieces stuck to their feathers (even though handwashing is a MUST in our chicken handling..maybe I'm just being anal IDK?
idunno.gif
lol

How old do Silkies need to be before you can bathe them? (New Silkie mom here)
love.gif

Not sure- I've seen lots give them baths when they are little, when they need to. I've only given baths before shows.- 6 months or older. I've only shown 1 tho
roll.png
. 3 or 4 times. But, he was white- so that ought to count 20x.

Pam

Quote: Hi and welcome to the Wonderful World of Silkies. I LOVE my birds - and I have had chickens for years and they are now my favorites!

I gave a one day old a bath because it was a sticky chick and was a brooder chick (momma will clean the ones she hatches). However, I would not bathe my Silkies unless there was a reason for it (show training or a show for example) because they keep their feathers clean and put their natural oils on them by preening them through their mouth, bathing takes away the oils and strips their feathers. Since we don't have a chicken feather conditioner - and I am not real comfortable using any people conditioner ( they do eat their feathers too) I would keep any bathing to a minimum. They molt their feathers - so any broken or super dirty feathers will fall out eventually.

Hi and welcome to the Wonderful World of Silkies. I LOVE my birds - and I have had chickens for years and they are now my favorites!

I gave a one day old a bath because it was a sticky chick and was a brooder chick (momma will clean the ones she hatches). However, I would not bathe my Silkies unless there was a reason for it (show training or a show for example) because they keep their feathers clean and put their natural oils on them by preening them through their mouth, bathing takes away the oils and strips their feathers. Since we don't have a chicken feather conditioner - and I am not real comfortable using any people conditioner ( they do eat their feathers too) I would keep any bathing to a minimum. They molt their feathers - so any broken or super dirty feathers will fall out eventually.

I would start them out young and and get them used to it so they don't freak out when you do it later.
Thanks for all the good info ( I will keep it to a minimum)
Lol right now they freak out when I even pick them up...they do calm down after a moment, but they flap those wings like crazy!
It was funny seeing my pretty white Silkie rolling around in the dirt flinging it all over herself, but she was pretty again later
yesss.gif

Can ya'll post some pics of your show porcelains/self blue creams? I have a baby I'm growing out that I hope to show, and want to see how her coloring compares. :)

Hi and welcome to the Wonderful World of Silkies. I LOVE my birds - and I have had chickens for years and they are now my favorites!

I have Bio Groom "supercream" I used on two of my girls yesterday, they came out nice =D

Back
Top Bottom