Silkie thread!

I love the paints! My one egg from a pet pen that hatched came out blue/black. I was bummed. Oh, AND a boy, so I can't keep him anyway. LOL.

What color is this?

I'm new to silkies
I have 5 at this time....one is obviously a roo
the one in the picture above has the same feathering on it's head as the roo but no waddles...
do only boys have feathering on their head like that?
thanks for you help...oh and the one in the picture has a different tail than the others too??!!

I'm new to silkies I have 5 at this time....one is obviously a roo the one in the picture above has the same feathering on it's head as the roo but no waddles... do only boys have feathering on their head like that? thanks for you help...oh and the one in the picture has a different tail than the others too??!!
I think that's a cross breed with a silkie.

I'm new to silkies
I have 5 at this time....one is obviously a roo
the one in the picture above has the same feathering on it's head as the roo but no waddles...
do only boys have feathering on their head like that?
thanks for you help...oh and the one in the picture has a different tail than the others too??!!

Hello and Welcome to the Wonderful World of Silkies.

Your pictured bird is not a Silkie - its a cross. Silkies have furry feathers, not smooth ones. The black one on her left looks to have the correct silkied feathers.

Boys and girls have crests on their heads - its part of the breed. They should be larger than that though. How old are these?

Chickens can have waTTles - ducks waDDle when they walk - not the same thing. Silkies with beards will not usually have wattles on the girls OR the boys - so no - its not one way to tell with these. If it doesn't have a beard then both of them can have wattles - the boy's will be bigger than the girls.

If you got them from a hatchery they will probably be Pet Quality (PQ) and not have the correct stance, foofy heads, foofy tails and feathered feet for showing. It doesn't make them less of a wonderful bird - and I hope you enjoy yours. I know I love mine, and one Hatchery PQ Silkie started me down the path to Silkie chicken math...

Back
Top Bottom