Silkie thread!

Sylvester: No hard feelings on my end! I didn't take anything negative from your post! Sorry about the confusion on that! I come off sounding way harsher than I am! I guess after 23 years in the Army that does it to a person! Sorry!

Heres a true funny story for ya! When I was around five yrs old I went out to the yard. My parents had a momma hen in this small wire cage sitting in the grass. The babies were on the outside of it. I walked up, picked one up and not knowing it at the time? The gate wasn't latched shut. Oh My! She come out of there flocking the heck out me. From that point on I was deathly afraid of chickens! LOL

Fast forward to 1999! My XH and I moved from WI back to AR. He decided to get Mallard Ducks, Wood Ducks and one other kind! My younger sister decided she wanted some baby chickens around that time to. Well after a month of dealing with them, she didn't want them anymore. So Yep! I ended up with them. Can't say I was thrilled about it considering my past history with them! I went to the feed store a week later and saw these little white cottonballs running around inside this pen of baby chicks. I asked what they were and was told Chinese Silkies! Well those little darlings came home with me. Along with one other breed that kept throwing itself at the wire and peeping it's head off. Take me! Take me! So that's how I got into raising chickens!

I don't show them. They are strictly pets and give us eggs. I have a wonderful Vet that I can take them too when I need to also. She cares about them and does the above and beyond thing to help me get them better.

I had Araucanas(sp) one time. There is the off breed called Americaunas too. A true blooded Araucana is a high dollar chicken to obtain.

TC

Why do some Silkies have naked necks?    
I hatched my little naked neck out from an egg I purchased from a breeder in Santa Clarita, Ca, to get naked necks I suppose you cross a Silkie with a Turken (a naked necked breed of chicken)and you are left with a Silkie with a naked neck lol I'm not familiar with the breed at all, this little one is my first:} hope I helped a little lol

I hatched my little naked neck out from an egg I purchased from a breeder in Santa Clarita, Ca, to get naked necks I suppose you cross a Silkie with a Turken (a naked necked breed of chicken)and you are left with a Silkie with a naked neck lol I'm not familiar with the breed at all, this little one is my first:} hope I helped a little lol
Oh wait:/ I believe they are called Silkie Show girls actually and not naked necks right? I don't really know haha all I know is that she is a Silkie w a naked neck :) and I wonder...can they get sunburned? I saw some little skin peeling from her tiny neck today lol

Wazine works on roundworms, not necessarily small worms or even all small worms; for example, capillaria are teensy, but not roundworms.
sad.png

Just saying, Wazine doesn't get all the worms. Nope.

Last edited:
Oh no, I haven't. I recall reading about it before, but I don't recall how it is done.

I'm thinking squatting is a pretty good indication. A male .. may..squat..but thinking it doesn't happen very often. Go with girl. She's a big girl. By chance, can you get a front view of the comb..and wattles? If she is nine months old..you should be getting an egg soon .. if it's a girl. Waiting on that egg.
wink.png

I'll take her! I have been trying to get another that looked very similar..haven't gotten one yet. Here she is..oohh so pretty.
Blue splash.

This gal was pretty good sized too. My white girl in the back ground is smaller.

Last edited:
Hi Cynthia!

Beautiful Silkies! I see your white one is eyeballing the hen eating grass! Our two girls are little lawnmowers! LOL I grew grass seeds in pans during the winter in order to keep them in their supply of grass they love to eat. My white Silkie would eat hers daintily after the first mouthful! She always came up from the bowl looking like she had a green mustache. Then it was one piece at a time after that. Molly, my blue Silkie inhales it until it's gone. Then she purrs for more. She purrs more like a cat than she does in sounding like a chicken!

TC

Hi Cynthia!

Beautiful Silkies! I see your white one is eyeballing the hen eating grass! Our two girls are little lawnmowers! LOL I grew grass seeds in pans during the winter in order to keep them in their supply of grass they love to eat. My white Silkie would eat hers daintily after the first mouthful! She always came up from the bowl looking like she had a green mustache. Then it was one piece at a time after that. Molly, my blue Silkie inhales it until it's gone. Then she purrs for more. She purrs more like a cat than she does in sounding like a chicken!

TC

Lol, my chickens are very talkative. I was only today explaining to a lady how my momma hen was growling when the goshawk paid us a visit. She said ' I've never heard of a chicken growling ! Are you sure it wasn't the dog ? :th

Lol, my chickens are very talkative. I was only today explaining to a lady how my momma hen was growling when the goshawk paid us a visit. She said ' I've never heard of a chicken growling ! Are you sure it wasn't the dog ? :th
my chickens talk to me too...but it always seems like they are upset with me! Do you think it's just them learning their voice and it won't be that way forever? My LOUDEST learning to talk chickens are the silkies! I thought someone had got hung up or something...nope, just fluffy butts talking to each other.

I'm thinking squatting is a pretty good indication. A male .. may..squat..but thinking it doesn't happen very often. Go with girl. She's a big girl. By chance, can you get a front view of the comb..and wattles? If she is nine months old..you should be getting an egg soon .. if it's a girl. Waiting on that egg.
wink.png

I'll take her! I have been trying to get another that looked very similar..haven't gotten one yet. Here she is..oohh so pretty.
Blue splash.

This gal was pretty good sized too. My white girl in the back ground is smaller.
Since these are older chickens! What sort of comb do they have? That's a pretty good indication as to what sex they are!
The only time my rooster would squat was when I'd corner him in an outside pen to catch for bringing back inside. The only difference is he would start screwing the ground! LOL A hen does a pitter patter dance with her feet and then puts her wings out a little bit for a rooster to stand on when he mounts her when she squats! Just trying to give you things to look at so you can figure out what you have there! :)

TC

my chickens talk to me too...but it always seems like they are upset with me! Do you think it's just them learning their voice and it won't be that way forever? My LOUDEST learning to talk chickens are the silkies! I thought someone had got hung up or something...nope, just fluffy butts talking to each other.

My funniest little fellow is a columbian Wyandotte , he follows me like a dog. It's hard to explain just how annoying his voice is. He sounds like Macey Gray ( the singer )

Back
Top Bottom