Silkie thread!

Shannon Marie, if you are looking for birds that are 5 to 10 weeks that will make it a lot more difficult. Most people seem to sell young chicks or full grown birds and more than likely people will be trying to rehome roosters, not hens.

I'm not sure where in NY you are but have you tried craigslist, any of the big online hatcheries (most are sold out right now) or local county fairs or 4h events. They have to be somewhere near you. I'm in RI and they are easy enough to get around here. Maybe not show quality but that doesn't matter if you just want a pet

I am suppose to be getting some silkie hatching eggs. I know how to incubate and such, but was wondering how long it takes for the silkies to mature and is there any tips you all can give on their care.

I am suppose to be getting some silkie hatching eggs. I know how to incubate and such, but was wondering how long it takes for the silkies to mature and is there any tips you all can give on their care.

Silkie are slower than other breeds. I've known them to be 8-9 months of age before they lay an egg.
They do tend to be very broody and this can affect your annual egg count. That being said my silkies lay all through winter and are a joy to own.
They don't have any water resistance , so best to lock them in on rainy days or provide plenty of cover for them. They don't fly or jump very high either for that matter so a lower perch with a suitable ladder is a must. My silkies have difficulty with your average size pellets so I feed them a micro pellet mixed 30/70 with a free range mix. They often do need their nails clipped and some people clip the feathers around the eyes in order to help them see.

Quote:
We do the crumbles. We will also have them in the yard with the rabbits. So they will have the cover of the rabbit cages and hutches. We clip the rabbits as needed so adding the silkies should not be a problem.

We currently have 2 Bantams, Welsummers, Rouens, and Pekins in the pen/yard. We have Turkeys and Cayuga ducks that will be added the start of July. We will also be adding Jersey Giants to the mix come July. I do plan to sell off some of the chicks. I know my husband will be eye rolling on this.

We do the crumbles. We will also have them in the yard with the rabbits. So they will have the cover of the rabbit cages and hutches. We clip the rabbits as needed so adding the silkies should not be a problem. 

We currently have 2 Bantams, Welsummers, Rouens, and Pekins in the pen/yard. We have Turkeys and Cayuga ducks that will be added the start of July. We will also be adding Jersey Giants to the mix come July. I do plan to sell off some of the chicks. I know my husband will be eye rolling on this. 

If you already have bantams then you should know roughly what to expect. They are not unlike Pekins . Just check that the crumble you use after they reach 6 weeks of age isn't medicated as silkie do seem to be ' dogged ' by wry neck ( a thiamine deficiency ) , and amprolium is a thiamine blocker. In fact once they are no longer on the chick starter I am inclined to add a poultry vitamin like nutridrench to the water periodically .

If you already have bantams then you should know roughly what to expect. They are not unlike Pekins . Just check that the crumble you use after they reach 6 weeks of age isn't medicated as silkie do seem to be ' dogged ' by wry neck ( a thiamine deficiency ) , and amprolium is a thiamine blocker. In fact once they are no longer on the chick starter I am inclined to add a poultry vitamin like nutridrench to the water periodically .
I think the bantam chickens are different from the pekin. I think she means pekin duck and not pekin chicken. The Orpington and Ancona are also confusing in this way. It's hard as heck to get good information the buff orpington ducks due to the BO chicken and its popularity!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom