Silkie thread!

Im in ny I asked over 20 people about silkies :( some people r 3 hrs away. I guess no one ha 5to 10 weeks. Im not giving up.. I think mo is half was across the country. Is it even possible to ship them? At that age?

Rats are especially difficult to get rid of. I don't leave any feed out overnight but they still nest under the nest boxes, steal eggs and the occasional chick. Baits are risky, I had a guy come buy hatching eggs from me last month after he indirectly poisoned his entire flock with rat poison. He thought it was safe to place them outside the coop at night whilst the chooks were locked up. He didn't figure on the rat dying in the coop and the chooks eating it . We have very large water rats as big as a squirrel . My cats hang around the coops at night and do their best to keep numbers down.

Is anyone going to answer me?

When it either crows or lays an egg.
wink.png

Seriously though, the best age to sex them is the day they hatch, IMHO. After that, it gets more difficult.

Is anyone going to answer me?

IMO, partridge are no different, when it comes to sexing than any other silkie. Look for enlarged waddle and comb, streamers in the crest and if you still can't identify any of these traits, wait for it to crow or lay an egg. At 5 weeks your guess would be as good as anyone s. I don't sell silkies until I can categorically guarantee it's sex. Usually 12-16 weeks.

When it either crows or lays an egg.
wink.png

Seriously though, the best age to sex them is the day they hatch, IMHO. After that, it gets more difficult.
Ummm. I did. I tried anyway. I vent sexed her when she arrived, but that was my first time and not sure if it was correct. I didn't see any bump or anything so I think she's a girl.

Im in ny I asked over 20 people about silkies
sad.png
some people r 3 hrs away. I guess no one ha 5to 10 weeks. Im not giving up.. I think mo is half was across the country. Is it even possible to ship them? At that age?
No one is going to be able to guarantee pullets at that age. I had a 7 month old buff I was sure was a pullet but turned out to be a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom