Silkie thread!

This is a pic of him wat do y'all think of him n wat is a good price to pay for him he's not mine I thinking of buying him just wanna knw wat is a good price to pay for him there asking 50 for him

How much do y'all pay for a silkie rooster that's around 6-8 months old

It depends on the quality of the bird's genetics and his color/conformation. You can find hatchery/average quality Silkie roosters for free on craigslist pretty much all the time. A well bred show bird that is in peak form might bring a price of 100 and up.

I posted the pic of him idk wat he is he doesn't look like my bearded silkies I have n I'm not sure wat color he is the lady said splash but I'm not sure

This is a pic of him wat do y'all think of him n wat is a good price to pay for him he's not mine I thinking of buying him just wanna knw wat is a good price to pay for him there asking 50 for him

I am pretty sure you could get a similar one pretty cheap on craigslist. I gave this one away for free this summer.

Last edited:

I don't know show quality standards and DQ's but I wouldn't pay $50 for him. He looks like a splash mix. I'm not a fan of the coloring on his chest. If he didn't have that orangish I'd find him more valuable.
You can buy silkie chicks for $4 plus shipping and handling. I'd pay $20-$30 tops for a grown roo but even then they would have to be high quality...

Maybe its my area but that seems really expensive, especially since its a male!

I don't know show quality standards and DQ's but I wouldn't pay $50 for him. He looks like a splash mix. I'm not a fan of the coloring on his chest. If he didn't have that orangish I'd find him more valuable.
You can buy silkie chicks for $4 plus shipping and handling. I'd pay $20-$30 tops for a grown roo but even then they would have to be high quality...

Maybe its my area but that seems really expensive, especially since its a male!

I agree. His color is off. He has very little feathering on his feet and overall is of average backyard quality.

K thanks I think I'll just try n find a better looking rooster for my hens

I am not sure what your breeding goals are, but you need to buy the best rooster you can possibly find. He will influence the whole next generation. A hen can only influence a relatively small number of potential chicks compared to the rooster. If you have 5 hens, his genes are handed out to all of them so it is 5x more important that he is of superior quality.

I have a question.. I am reading alot of different advice on the internet about the best way to hatch chicks. Laying on their side or in the upright position sitting in cartons. Seems so many people have great success with both ways, and then just as many people have less success both ways. I am using an automatic turner during incubation in a circulating still air bator, and im hatching silkies. When its time for lockdown, how do you hatch your chicks? What has worked the best?

Back
Top Bottom