Silkie thread!

Lol we just bring them inside to cuddle on our laps and watch tv every once in a while and then put them back outside. They can learn to hold their poops when you hold them. Although I did have a silkie rooster growing up who lived in the house. He'd go outside during the day in the yard but then slept in a cage in my room at night. He was kinda spoiled lol

Whilst it's very tempting to cuddle a silkie having poultry inside can be very dangerous to your health. Some things for all chicken lovers to consider.

http://www.cdc.gov/features/salmonellababybirds/

Last edited:
Soun
Sounds funny
smile.png

Do you still have him?
Unfortunately no, he passed away a while ago. This was 10 yrs ago. But he's the one who started my love for silkies. I never got them again or any other chicken after he died, until this spring :)

I must have been incredibly lucky then cause I handled my silkie roo daily all the time for years and never got sick from it. And noone else in my family either for that matter :)

I'm quite sure that we all handle our birds. I have more than 50 birds and handle most of them on a regular basis. Not all birds carry salmonella but it is worth taking precautions especially around small children. :)

I'm quite sure that we all handle our birds. I have more than 50 birds and handle most of them on a regular basis. Not all birds carry salmonella but it is worth taking precautions especially around small children. :)

Oh for sure. This was a long time ago. I was young and knew nothing of salmonella or cared. Now we all play with the chickies and wash up afterwards just outta habit. :)

I'm just a rebel when it comes to salmonella.... anyone care to pass the cake mix? Its better if you DON'T bake it ;)

Last edited:
Our newest additions to our silkie flock. I'll add always ensure eggs are NOT left with silkies even if they don't act 'broody' i swear they can turn it on/off like a switch lol

I'm quite sure that we all handle our birds. I have more than 50 birds and handle most of them on a regular basis. Not all birds carry salmonella but it is worth taking precautions especially around small children.
smile.png

People also build tolerances too... like our non farm friends we are very cautious they wash thoroughly after handling the livestock, not that we ourselves are not careful but we are in it so much our tolerance for things like that are very different than someone who doesn't run with animals of this nature. Besides even pet food(like for cats n dogs) can carry it, as well as veggies and so forth.

Yes, we have chickens in our house again, right as i type lol
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom