Silkie thread!

What wonderful advise! clear and not judgie thanks so much for answering my question seriously.
Your yard looks like more fun than Disney World! Cuz I am weird that way too!
My Darling Granddaughter helps me with chicken chores when she is here today we baked corn bread with real corn and some chick crumbles in it for extra protein boost with the weather we are having.
Your grandson looks like a pro! Looks like he is using an empty folgers can, do your roosters go after the red? Mine gets a bit testosterone-ie when he sees the red can I use so Kaylee gets any other color than red or a variation of red. Bean is my roo he is a bantam something or other straight leg but he takes his job seriously and is like a bull with the red cape.

Thank you tjo804 and everyone else that say nice things.
big_smile.png

My property if just a half acre and almost all of it is in garden with small patches of lawn. All fenced, double fenced and surrounded with thick shrubbery. We've lived and gardened here for thirty years so being outside with the flock is like a dream come true for me too. It's a nice place to live and raise silkies.

Most of my flock right now is in this years chicks. My breeding flock is around thirty or forty. Everybody has their own space but juggling them in and out of the barn yard and other free run space is a full time job. I get up at 6am and collapse at 8pm. I spend my time feeding and watering and handling everybody. It is the # 1 main reason I have so few losses. Every bird is my personal pet. From hatch to the day it leaves my care. I treat them all the same. Top quality breeder to littlest pet quality chick. One of my favorite silkies is named Dumpling. She was given to me three years ago by Karen Larson. Her feet are permanently crippled and she has a forever home with me. I used to tote her everywhere and then one day I saw her get into it with another dominate silkie and Dumpling won! From then on I figured she could take care of herself in the flock and she has! She is always last to find her way back to the run/pen each evening and I watch for her so she doesn't get shut out. Right now she is brooding eggs I gave her from another pen. She sits on them with her legs splayed way out. Most people wouldn't have kept a bird disabled like her. I'm disabled too and know what it's like to work at getting about. I am so grateful Karen Larson trusted me enough to give her to me. I adore this little hen.

I've never noticed any of the males react to the red folger's containers or any other red thing. That's interesting. I like those folger's containers. I save them for all kinds of uses.

My Grandchildren love my chickens and like to help with chores when they are here. It is the delight of my life when they visit.

Thank you tjo804 and everyone else that say nice things. :D My property if just a half acre and almost all of it is in garden with small patches of lawn. All fenced, double fenced and surrounded with thick shrubbery. We've lived and gardened here for thirty years so being outside with the flock is like a dream come true for me too. It's a nice place to live and raise silkies. Most of my flock right now is in this years chicks. My breeding flock is around thirty or forty. Everybody has their own space but juggling them in and out of the barn yard and other free run space is a full time job. I get up at 6am and collapse at 8pm. I spend my time feeding and watering and handling everybody. It is the # 1 main reason I have so few losses. Every bird is my personal pet. From hatch to the day it leaves my care. I treat them all the same. Top quality breeder to littlest pet quality chick. One of my favorite silkies is named Dumpling. She was given to me three years ago by Karen Larson. Her feet are permanently crippled and she has a forever home with me. I used to tote her everywhere and then one day I saw her get into it with another dominate silkie and Dumpling won! From then on I figured she could take care of herself in the flock and she has! She is always last to find her way back to the run/pen each evening and I watch for her so she doesn't get shut out. Right now she is brooding eggs I gave her from another pen. She sits on them with her legs splayed way out. Most people wouldn't have kept a bird disabled like her. I'm disabled too and know what it's like to work at getting about. I am so grateful Karen Larson trusted me enough to give her to me. I adore this little hen. I've never noticed any of the males react to the red folger's containers or any other red thing. That's interesting. I like those folger's containers. I save them for all kinds of uses. My Grandchildren love my chickens and like to help with chores when they are here. It is the delight of my life when they visit.
I had a chicken that broke her leg when her mom sat on her wrong, and she couldn't run so she hopped everywhere

Thank you tjo804 and everyone else that say nice things. :D My property if just a half acre and almost all of it is in garden with small patches of lawn. All fenced, double fenced and surrounded with thick shrubbery. We've lived and gardened here for thirty years so being outside with the flock is like a dream come true for me too. It's a nice place to live and raise silkies. Most of my flock right now is in this years chicks. My breeding flock is around thirty or forty. Everybody has their own space but juggling them in and out of the barn yard and other free run space is a full time job. I get up at 6am and collapse at 8pm. I spend my time feeding and watering and handling everybody. It is the # 1 main reason I have so few losses. Every bird is my personal pet. From hatch to the day it leaves my care. I treat them all the same. Top quality breeder to littlest pet quality chick. One of my favorite silkies is named Dumpling. She was given to me three years ago by Karen Larson. Her feet are permanently crippled and she has a forever home with me. I used to tote her everywhere and then one day I saw her get into it with another dominate silkie and Dumpling won! From then on I figured she could take care of herself in the flock and she has! She is always last to find her way back to the run/pen each evening and I watch for her so she doesn't get shut out. Right now she is brooding eggs I gave her from another pen. She sits on them with her legs splayed way out. Most people wouldn't have kept a bird disabled like her. I'm disabled too and know what it's like to work at getting about. I am so grateful Karen Larson trusted me enough to give her to me. I adore this little hen. I've never noticed any of the males react to the red folger's containers or any other red thing. That's interesting. I like those folger's containers. I save them for all kinds of uses. My Grandchildren love my chickens and like to help with chores when they are here. It is the delight of my life when they visit.
Are crooked toes or curled toes a hereditary thing or is it caused by incubation error?

@tjo804 My cousin bought him at Atwoods and when he turned out to be a roo she couldn't keep him so I took him and his brother. My brother now has the other one and he's a SPOILED baby let me tell ya!

Are crooked toes or curled toes a hereditary thing or is it caused by incubation error?

Both. Karen told me she missed this little silkie when she came out of the incubator and went into the brooder. Usually we can treat them in 24 hours. I've hatched many chicks from Dumpling and never got a chick with deformed feet. Karen told me when she started using a new incubator she had a few hiccups with eggs and chicks until she got the settings right. It happens. Toes like this are easily fixed using a small band-aid cut to fit. They are removed after a couple days by soaking the feet in a couple drops of olive oil. The Band-Aid comes right off without pulling skin or feathers.

Both. Karen told me she missed this little silkie when she came out of the incubator and went into the brooder. Usually we can treat them in 24 hours. I've hatched many chicks from Dumpling and never got a chick with deformed feet. Karen told me when she started using a new incubator she had a few hiccups with eggs and chicks until she got the settings right. It happens. Toes like this are easily fixed using a small band-aid cut to fit. They are removed after a couple days by soaking the feet in a couple drops of olive oil. The Band-Aid comes right off without pulling skin or feathers.
thank you for answering, I've got a little one with a crooked toe. Each time I try to tape it straight, its still crooked

I woulda kept the crippled one too She too is beautiful as well.
we had a split beak with bad wing feathers and one leg shorter than the other. She kept up well with the flock sadly one day she was just gone no sign of struggle or trama in the yard no unwelcome visitors and she has been missing for 4 days now I keep looking in my yard and the neighbors hoping she went broody somewhere and is just fine.

Back
Top Bottom