Silkie thread!

My poor 3 month old baby girls looking like prisoners. I wish I didn't have so many predators
hmm.png

Anybody have young Silkies get agressive with each other? I have two out of my 5 who are getting pretty serious with their spats. First, I thought Silkies (even the Roos) were pretty docile, second, 2 weeks old seems pretty young to be fighting and third, does this mean they are probably boys?

I've got 3 Silkie roos and besides sleeping in the same coop, when the sun comes up they have to be separated or it's like a battle royale.
Two are ornery and one is super docile and sweet, but put them together and they all turn evil.

Anybody have young Silkies get agressive with each other? I have two out of my 5 who are getting pretty serious with their spats. First, I thought Silkies (even the Roos) were pretty docile, second, 2 weeks old seems pretty young to be fighting and third, does this mean they are probably boys?
I have some youngins that I think are roosters :he and they do the little cock fight dance with each other nearly every day.
I think if there fighting one or both will probably be boys, but occasionally you will come across an aggressive hen. :idunno

@cgmaster I didn't know silver was an actually color. :rolleyes: but that makes more sense than it being blue. :p
its the same as regular partridge just silver based instead of gold based if you have a silver based roo and put it over a gold based hen the girls will be silver based and the boys will be golden (they have both silver and gold) ifyou breed a gold based roo to a silver based hen then you get gold pullets and golden cockerels (this is true with all colors and all breeds of chicken) silver partridge is also called grey but most silver partridge aren't the correct color to be called grey (greys are supposed to be an even grey all over)

Quote:
This is the supposed 'pullet' pen. 2 Showgirls and 5 Silkies. I am starting to wonder if a boy may have snuck his way into the pullet pen lol.

I want to set up a pen for breeding just Silkies and another pen with either a Silkie cock over the showgirls or a Showgirl cock over silkie hens. I read that you should not do SG x SG and should instead breed silkie to showgirl to maintain the Silkie type. I'm learning a lot from reading all the posts on BYC.

Thank you so much for the compliment! Some of them seem to be turning out really nice. One of my prettiest hens sadly has two lobster claws... one on each foot. I'll get a picture of her later today if I can. I may do a test breeding from her to see if it's passed on to the babies. She is absolutely gorgeous so far and I am seeing nothing wrong with her except the toes.

I have some youngins that I think are roosters :he and they do the little cock fight dance with each other nearly every day.
I think if there fighting one or both will probably be boys, but occasionally you will come across an aggressive hen. :idunno

My suspicion is because it's always the same two, and one of them gets pretty nasty; biting the others neck and pinning him down until he hollers. I've never had this before, but then again, I've only had one roo so far. We kind of figured the one was a roo from day one, just because of his size compared to the others. The fighting is kinda making me lose hope that I might just have a big hen...

Back
Top Bottom