Silkie thread!

I don't know if this is the same thing u are looking for or not

Our seven week old Silkies. Any guesses on the sexes?

All lovely birds. But I'm going to say it again, ' at this early age, your guess would be as good as anyone's. '
I've been breeding silkies for 12 years and I am getting good at sexing my own birds , but some lines carry different identifiable traits and only experience will raise the percentage of correctness. For now I'm nearly always 50% right when sexing silkies under 12 weeks of age. :lau

Is it common for another silkie hen to go broody and steal another's hens nest. My gray silky has been sitting on her nest for 2 weeks, and now my black one just went broody today and stole the others nest.

Sometimes broodies are so determined that two hens will share the same nest. I'll get two broody Silkies at the same time and they'll set the same nestbox together. I don't have a roo but I let my Silkies brood empty nests until they end their broody term. If one goes broody it's usually not long before the other one does too and they'll set in the same empty box for days/weeks. If they're happy sharing the same box I leave them alone. Of course, I've never had a broody with a clutch in her nest so can't speak about Silkies sharing actual eggs together.

They all look like pullets except fo r possibly 2-3

1 looks like pullet to me so far...

2 looks like a cockerel with that much comb...

Other 2 am unsure... but still early yet for Silkies, lol...

All lovely birds. But I'm going to say it again, ' at this early age, your guess would be as good as anyone's. '
I've been breeding silkies for 12 years and I am getting good at sexing my own birds , but some lines carry different identifiable traits and only experience will raise the percentage of correctness. For now I'm nearly always 50% right when sexing silkies under 12 weeks of age. :lau

Thanks guys! These were shipped eggs so I don't have a reference point.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom