Silkie thread!

I've seen people get kids play houses off Craigslist and repurpose them as coops with a little modification. They tend to blend in well in urban backyards.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, just wondered if anyone can give me a indication of the sex of these two silkies I hatched 6 months ago, many thanks jimmy

I honesty have no clue. I can tell what 2 of mine are at 3 months, 1 is a toss up.
But just for fun, I'll give it a go...

Pretty sure I have hubby talked into building a me new coop this summer! Right now I have 3 bantams and 1 silkie. we live in a neighborhood so I need something somewhat small that will hold 6-7 birds max....I already have chicken fever bad! I have an 21'x18' area fenced off already that my current coop is in.
I'd like to not spend a fortune but want something much better than the crappy TSC tiny thing I have.
So please share with me what your choice would be or what you have, how much it cost to build and why you love it or what you don't like about it and would change. Any links to plans would be great!!!!!

So excited for you getting a coop built -- so many choices and personal requirements to consider. Whatever coop/plan you use make sure it is tall enough for walking in or easy cleaning access. Our first coop was only 4-ft tall and it was hard hunching over to change water/feed every day. We like our new coop's slide-out floor tray for easier cleaning once a week.

If you have 6-7 birds the coop won't be small if you use the minimum 4-sq-feet of coop floor space per each bird plus minimum 10-sq-feet of pen/run foraging space, plus 1-sq-foot per each bird of open ventilation at the coop roofline.

My Barn Coop and run extension was from https://www.chickencondos.com/ and the mfr stated up to 16 birds would fit the 4x4x6'H coop. It had only two vents at the roofline -- totally inadequate for the footage requirements for our 4 birds, let alone the 16 that the mfr suggested! Yes, 16 birds could squeeze into the coop but there'd be totally unhealthy poop/ammonia fume build-up overnight. We ordered the extra optional wire kennel floor accessory for more ventilation during our brutal summers. Because we have a heavy-duty locking kennel run we can leave the chicken pop-door open in summer for even more air circulation. If you're wonderful DH is going to build you a coop, consider a patio roof over the coop - I don't care how well-built coops are they eventually get weather-worn, crack, and leak -- the patio roof over a coop will protect the coop for years to come. Might as well do it right from the beginning as later never seems to get done.

Pretty sure I have hubby talked into building a me new coop this summer! Right now I have 3 bantams and 1 silkie. we live in a neighborhood so I need something somewhat small that will hold 6-7 birds max....I already have chicken fever bad! I have an 21'x18' area fenced off already that my current coop is in.
I'd like to not spend a fortune but want something much better than the crappy TSC tiny thing I have.
So please share with me what your choice would be or what you have, how much it cost to build and why you love it or what you don't like about it and would change. Any links to plans would be great!!!!!

There are lots of excellent ideas on here if you search "coop designs!" We are currently searching through them to find one we would like to build.

Lucky you! How nice that you will have a custom coop this summer. I have assembled three small-to-medium coops for my Red Stars/RIRs, Silkies and future hens (yes, chicken fever has struck!) They are okay, but...

The one thing that I find indispensable is our large (12'x17') fully covered run, that was already on the property. I put two of the assembled coops inside it, and there is still plenty of room for bantams to roam. It's big and tall enough that adults can easily walk around in it, and it protects the mediocre coops from weathering and leaking. We have a very rainy climate, and it is nice NOT to have Silkies become mud-buckets half the year. A dry area to scratch around in is a fine thing.

I have found that if the coop is inside a strong, secure, well-built covered run, any kind of cheap coop with perches and nest boxes will do the job just fine. Good luck, and I will be very interested to see what your husband builds for you!

I finally ordered my blue silkies 3 of them an 5 sisterscocin frizzle brahmas and orphinton But I won't see them until july17th can you believe it!! It will be worth it can't wait

I finally ordered my blue silkies 3 of them an 5 sisterscocin frizzle brahmas and orphinton But I won't see them until july17th can you believe it!! It will be worth it can't wait
Congratulations! What a nice choice of breeds. Our Silkies are darling puffballs, and the favourite of children. My Orpington was the sweetest hen, bless her, and such a good layer. I just hatched some Brahmas, and they are so cute, sweet and full of personality.

You are in for a wonderful July - enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom