Silkie thread!

Hatched some paint eggs and had this beauty pop out. I know it's not a recognized color but I might play around with this. Looks like a red paint as the color is too broken up for red Pyle.
View attachment 1071783
She is so pretty! Unusual for a girl too to get the red. I have a white roo from paint who is having red come in now, curious to see how that goes.

I have a question about my silkies.
When I see pictures posted online most seem to be much more fluffy.

Also my silkies seem to have a bit different wings then what I see. Is there something off with mine? I was told they were purebred.

Not sure if you can see the feathers I'm talking about in the picture, but then again maybe that is why I the ones I see online look different?

Attachments

• 20030853_10154842902557602_1079075995_n.jpg
    20030853_10154842902557602_1079075995_n.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 13
With eggs marked and separated, I now know what pen the odd colors are coming from. So that rooster is out. I have a list of the hen tag numbers that were in with him and not broody when I collected.

Ignore the purple hand. Blukote is wonderful for safely dying foot feathers until I can band.
20170710_161919.jpg

It's a full house under this hen.
20170710_195728.jpg

Hi everyone, new silkie mom. I have 2 a white and black. They are 2 weeks old today. Just wondering how much to handle them. I sit and talk to them several times a day and hold them for a few minutes at a time. I want to eventually take them to work with me so want them very tame. Can they go outside with supervision? They are going to be pets and live inside most of the time with a small coop for daytime.

Thanks for any advice

I'm a crazy chicken mom - have had several breeds in-house and Silkies are fun house pets. I never kept them in a coop/pen for daytime. I let a Silkie roam free by using diapers on the first Silkie I had but had to keep changing her diaper during the day so stopped using them (but she did get used to having a lot of tush baths and blow dry's to clean her vent area between diaper changes). Now I let an in-house chicken stay in one room with tile floors (easy to clean) and a mirror for company if the bird doesn't have a 2nd chicken with her. The bird is free to roam in the room, flap her wings, eat, drink, and talk to her reflection buddy. The mirror works well to keep the chicken happy and stays in the same area when we need to be gone from the house. I leave a talk radio station on while we're gone so she gets accustomed to human voices. If we're gone during evening roost time we cover their favorite area with a towel and we will find them sleeping when we get home after dark. With our in-house Silkie she had a favorite chair but couldn't reach it and we had to lift her up to her special chair to sleep. Once we didn't make it home in time to lift her up to her chair and I found her sleeping on my fuzzy slippers. So we invested in a plastic lidded nestbox and put straw in it and left it on the floor so she could hide herself for the evening and that became her roost area. Silkies are floor or nestbox users moreso than they are perch users. I don't have photos of Silkies with mirrors but here are a couple recent Breda that we kept in-house until they were old enough to integrate outdoors.
DSCN7508.JPG
DSCN8105.JPG

DSCN8133.JPG

I have a question about my silkies.
When I see pictures posted online most seem to be much more fluffy.

Also my silkies seem to have a bit different wings then what I see. Is there something off with mine? I was told they were purebred.

Not sure if you can see the feathers I'm talking about in the picture, but then again maybe that is why I the ones I see online look different?

Your Silkie is not "off" but is a non-bearded variety. Both bearded and non-bearded are accepted by the ABA. In the U.K. the non-bearded is more common than the bearded in the USA. See feathersite.com website to see the Silkies and how different they can look.

Hi, I'm an aspiring silkie mom. I hope to start a small flock soon (6-9 chicks). I do have a question, I can see in the future having to rehome some roo's. My chicks will be pets and I anticipate that the ones I rehome will be pets too. If I give away a pet(s) what would be the ideal situation for someone just wanting a pet. Can a single roo be a pet or will I need to give a set? If a set ----
1 roo =1 hen?
1 roo + 2 hens?
would 2 roo's be buddies in the absence of hens?
Obviously i would like to keep my hens but if I rehome a roo I want him to have a good life.

any advice is appreciated

I can only offer luck. I can't give them away. We end up eating silkie soup fairly often. I do have a few super friendly boys that just hang out with my large fowl hens as pets.

It isn't helping me that one line here now has inherited their grandmother's curiosity and friendliness. Even ones I don't handle come up for attention. I have a really bad teen that will hop up on a strawbale to sit next to me. *sigh* he'll be another pet

Back
Top Bottom