Silkie thread!

Hi everyone, new silkie mom. I have 2 a white and black. They are 2 weeks old today. Just wondering how much to handle them. I sit and talk to them several times a day and hold them for a few minutes at a time. I want to eventually take them to work with me so want them very tame. Can they go outside with supervision? They are going to be pets and live inside most of the time with a small coop for daytime.

Thanks for any advice

Most of us that rear our chicks inside, take them outside at times, before the conversion. I would recommend chick grit in their feed that day, as they will be picking up various things to eat.

You will need to stay with them, of course. They have no protection, or mother hen.

Pics of my silkies.
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG

I just moved a bunch of silkies out to the main coop last week. I kept most of the blues that I hatched this year so I can get BBS for next year's breedings. They look so cute and silly running around. Just little balls of fluff among the LF chickens. I'll have to get some pictures later on. I think I kept 7 blues and 2 splash. 1 splash has a leg issue so I'm not entirely sure of her fate yet. Definitely not a breeder but if she can continue to get along ok, she can be a pet epithet here or for someone else.

IMG_4829.JPG
This is my new 1 wk old silkie (the grey one). It's supposed to be a blue silkie, but it has these brown marks on its head and back. Do you guys think it might be a splash? Or do you think the brown will disappear while it grows?

I have 4 bearded silkies that I bought from a breeder, and she told me she thought they were about 3-4 weeks old when I bought them... so they are supposed to be either 6 or 7 weeks old... They are tiny, and I am wondering if she could have been mistaken about the age? They are almost the same size as my EE who is going to be 3 weeks in 2 days (I know her age, as I got her the day she came into the feed store). Please tell me what you think!
fullsizeoutput_2f6b.jpeg

My EE, Sprite is perching on one of the feeder bowls, Honey is the partridge silkie hiding behind her, Angel is the white silkie, the blue/splash ones are Grace and Hope. The two blue/laced red wyandotte are not named (because I cannot tell them apart yet lol), but are 2 days from 7 weeks. I put them together when I picked up my silkies, but only the buff orpington's and the blue laced reds grew...
IMG_4850.JPG
IMG_4856.JPG

This is Zuri, she is also 2 days from 7 weeks old, I got them from the feed store on arrival. The buff Orpington chicks are the sweetest, along with Sprite my EE... now if only my silkies would be less vocal when I hold them...
fullsizeoutput_2f6b.jpeg

View attachment 1068842 This is my new 1 wk old silkie (the grey one). It's supposed to be a blue silkie, but it has these brown marks on its head and back. Do you guys think it might be a splash? Or do you think the brown will disappear while it grows?

Not blue or splash. Splash is a very light grey at hatch. Almost looks white. The blue partridge I've hatched looked like faded and washed out partridge chicks.

It will be interesting to see what it colors in as.

I have 4 bearded silkies that I bought from a breeder, and she told me she thought they were about 3-4 weeks old when I bought them... so they are supposed to be either 6 or 7 weeks old... They are tiny, and I am wondering if she could have been mistaken about the age? They are almost the same size as my EE who is going to be 3 weeks in 2 days (I know her age, as I got her the day she came into the feed store). Please tell me what you think! View attachment 1071352
My EE, Sprite is perching on one of the feeder bowls, Honey is the partridge silkie hiding behind her, Angel is the white silkie, the blue/splash ones are Grace and Hope. The two blue/laced red wyandotte are not named (because I cannot tell them apart yet lol), but are 2 days from 7 weeks. I put them together when I picked up my silkies, but only the buff orpington's and the blue laced reds grew... View attachment 1071353 View attachment 1071354
This is Zuri, she is also 2 days from 7 weeks old, I got them from the feed store on arrival. The buff Orpington chicks are the sweetest, along with Sprite my EE... now if only my silkies would be less vocal when I hold them... View attachment 1071352

Silkies should be much smaller than a large fowl breed. Mine all tend to grow slow for the first couple months, then really take off.

Back
Top Bottom