Silkie thread!

I store mine in an egg carton in the fridge and have hatched eggs that were four weeks old with great success. Store at room temp, after 7 days the chances of hatching go down drastically.
I have read mixed reviews on refrigerating vs room temp. Putting in refrigerator definitely buys me more time, but I wouldn't want to do it if it will reduce my chances at setting/hatching time. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

I have read mixed reviews on refrigerating vs room temp. Putting in refrigerator definitely buys me more time, but I wouldn't want to do it if it will reduce my chances at setting/hatching time. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Funny thing is, a lot of these people that tell you not to put them in the fridge, have never tried it. You just wanna make sure you don't ha have our settings on your fridge turned so low that they would run the risk of freezing. I have 4 dozen in the fridge now that are going in the incubator next week. If I kept them at room temp, only a dozen would have been viable.

Funny thing is, a lot of these people that tell you not to put them in the fridge, have never tried it. You just wanna make sure you don't ha have our settings on your fridge turned so low that they would run the risk of freezing. I have 4 dozen in the fridge now that are going in the incubator next week. If I kept them at room temp, only a dozen would have been viable.
Do you have a good hatch rate doing it that way? Would it be to late to put mine in? They were laid Wednesday and Thursday..

28DA3D67-5FE9-49E8-A7A6-105D738A8929.jpeg
EFE49C53-B1D0-48C7-9A0B-E83AE030E93D.jpeg
Okay, so my silkies I entered in the fair were a partridge and a black. They are both pulleys about 6 months old. Both received best variety and the black got reserve breed. Is there anything I can do to win next year with the black one so that it wins next year? Or is it pretty much buy more silkies and enter them? I’ll get better pictures when they get back from the fair. Picture was before I cleaned the coop.

Umm.... can someone answer my question i asked earlier???
Like fishmtfarm said too early to early to sex, only certain breeds can be feather sexed and silkies are not one of the breeds. As far as color of chicks, I’ve been told in a poultry color and genetics group that a chicks down is showing its genetics not necessarily the color it’s going to feather out. Chipmunk colored chicks do not always feather out partridge especially if you are hatching from mix of colors in flock.

We had a good hatch with the eggs I started in th incubator and moved to broodies last week. All 7 hatched but the first broody pushed them out from under her when they hatched, when I found them I was able to save one and get it under the other broody. I named the saved chick Annie. We have a total of 6 little fluffy butts this morning and this broody is doing excellent with them and protecting them, First time any of my chickens have pecked at me, haha.
4A2DEC62-A64E-46B8-B755-8B94E1158AD7.jpeg
3026664E-B848-4EBE-8806-498865686155.jpeg
593E92F6-5CA6-4A7F-A9D0-0ED87856C43A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom