Silkie thread!

Mine have a play house for a coop, I have the top perch about 12-18 inches from ceiling, and they will perch up there. Getting down is another story, they're funny trying to come down, even with ladder. I have two other perches at lower heights, (as seen in pics), but they go to the top. The roo and his 3 Silkie hens, lower perch is polish hen, black frizzle bantam, Silkie pullet (hope), then Bingo and Boca perch on nest perches. I also have my meat and egg flock, but that's another thread.:frow
Sorry, Bingo and Boca are either BRs or cuckoo marans, see what breed or gender / Rock or Maran, for pics.

Hi all. I have a small flock of chickens. 4 Black Australorps and 2 Jersey Giants. They are almost 22 weeks and 3 have been laying pretty consistently for a couple weeks now and I am sure the others will be along in no time. We thought that we'd add a few more chicks to our flock and grabbed 4 more from TSC. One turned out to be a Silkie. It's my first one ever so this should be interesting. They were all straight run so I'm not sure if it's a boy or girl so I've got quite a ways to go before we find out the gender. For the ease of writing I'm just going to refer to her as her. Today when I was holding her I noticed that she had a little piece of pine shaving stuck to the fur on her feet. I would assume this is pretty common huh? I rinsed her foot off with lukewarm water until I could get it off. Any tricks or articles that ya'll could help me with or point me in the direction of to help me take care of her properly? I'm looking forward to to this sweet one being a part of my family.
Here's a pic of her. No name yet. I'll work on that.

When we first got her Sat. Sept 8, 2018
IMG_3621.JPG

Pics I took today Weds. Sept 12, 2018

IMG_3633.JPG IMG_3635.JPG IMG_3634.JPG IMG_3636.JPG

With the feather growth and the nubs of tail feathers coming in, she's probably at least a week old wouldn't you say? Either way, she's a cutie patootie so I thought that I would share. :love

I am trying to decide whether to add roosting shelves in the coop sleeping quarters or not. I saw this on an old post and I like the idea of giving them somewhere off the ground to sleep. I was thinking about making them a 18 inches wide and about a foot off the ground with a small lip on the edge to hold bedding on them. I have a few traditional roost moveable roost bars that are 2x4 with the wide end up, they use these during the day from time to time but never at night. Does anyone use this type of set up? I don't want to waste the lumber if they are just going to sleep on the floor anyways. Right now it is an empty 8x8 area. I herd my little juveniles in there at dusk and they pile in a corner.
My older pullets and hens sleep in the nest boxes with the rooster and cockerels perched on the edges of them, this has to stop the nest boxes are getting dirty. The nest boxes will be moved soon to an 8x4 brooder area and a door added to the 8x8 area so they will not have access to them at night, everyone will sleep in the 8x8 area.

26FD5DD0-8DFA-407E-9C4E-BAF14900DA25.jpeg
5D89288C-03DC-4CB0-BF0E-D81C44B7003A.jpeg
This is our one and only Silkie in a flock of eight... we also have 2 Australorps, and blue and a black.. 1 EE.. 1 RIR.. 1 Barnevelder.. 1 BuffO.. and 1 Golden Lace Wyandotte. Her name is “Nilky” which is actually Gnocchi which means dumpling in Italian, so we have “chickens and dumpling” :D... I spell it “Nilky” because the little cat on Curious George’s name is “Gnocchi” and we always thought they were saying “Milky”.... so her name is Gnocchi, spelled Nilky because she’s a “Milky Silkie”:gig

View attachment 1533037 View attachment 1533038 This is our one and only Silkie in a flock of eight... we also have 2 Australorps, and blue and a black.. 1 EE.. 1 RIR.. 1 Barnevelder.. 1 BuffO.. and 1 Golden Lace Wyandotte. Her name is “Nilky” which is actually Gnocchi which means dumpling in Italian, so we have “chickens and dumpling” :D... I spell it “Nilky” because the little cat on Curious George’s name is “Gnocchi” and we always thought they were saying “Milky”.... so her name is Gnocchi, spelled Nilky because she’s a “Milky Silkie”:gig
She looks just like my silkie, Cotton. She looks to be about same age, 6 months ?
IMG_20180906_195014.jpg
I also have a Blue, a Black, a Buff, and a Red roo. Silkies are just too cute.

Yes, 6 months!:) And they do look alike! They are cute but I have to say from what I’ve read about how sweet and friendly they are she is my least friendly chicken... she runs when I come in and stays far away where as the other gals cling to me.. she was handled the same maybe even more by my daughter who loves her but she is still very skittish!:confused:

Mine isn't happy about the picking up part, but once i pick her up, she cuddles against me. The other girls are like that too, they don't cuddle like Cotton, but they relax once I pick them up .
When should I expect eggs from her? I hear they are much later to lay...? And how many do they lay, like within a week?

Back
Top Bottom