Silkie thread!

Are you a seller or did you sex the chicks for your own information?
Amber Waves Silkies has a standard selling price for chicks and then they add the $15 per DNA sexed birds -- if 10 chicks were tested at $15@ that's $150 total for the batch -- just as an example only: if each pullet chick sells for $35 but only two females were sexed out of a batch (8 chicks tested cockerels) -- then $150 is distributed to the selling price of the two DNA pullet chicks making them cost the regular $35 plus $75 of the divided cost of the DNA testing bringing the price of the two pullet chicks up to $105@. If 10 chicks were all tested positive as female then $150 divided between 10 chicks is $15@ added to the regular selling price of $35 to have a selling price for each female chick at $50@. That's how it was explained to me why DNA sexed chicks can fluctuate in price -- it all depends on how many chicks tested positive as cockerels and of course sellers usually can't GIVE away cockerels let alone trying to sell them at $5 or $10 each. Most sellers have to eat the DNA test batch cost of cockerels so to keep from losing $$$ they push the test batch cost onto the selling price of pullet chicks. To me it's worth it to buy from a seller who DNA tests chicks so I don't get attached to a baby cockerel that I'm not zoned for. It's so heartbreaking that cockerels are so unwanted :hit
I’ve done both, Sold them and sexed them for my own knowledge. Im super confused here. Are you arguing with me or agreeing with me?

I’ve done both, Sold them and sexed them for my own knowledge. Im super confused here. Are you arguing with me or agreeing with me?
Lord Almighty -- I'm not an arguer and pray never to be! LOL! I was just clarifying how the DNA sexing cost was passed on to the selling price of pullet chicks by some Silkie sellers I've dialoged with -- just sharing info -- nothing more teehee!

What does it look like if a partridge silkie roo cross with black silkie hen ?

If the black is from BBS stock, mostly black with gold leakage on the pullets and silver leakage on the cockerels. I can't remember if just blacks are gold or silver based. I think they are gold? BBS is silver and partridge is gold. They are sex linked genes.

If the black is from BBS stock, mostly black with gold leakage on the pullets and silver leakage on the cockerels. I can't remember if just blacks are gold or silver based. I think they are gold? BBS is silver and partridge is gold. They are sex linked genes.

Idk why I think it be a ugly mix gold and black.

Idk why I think it be a ugly mix gold and black.

She is from a blue hen, not just black so just think darker. The brown is more noticeable in person but you can see it here. Her offspring when bred back to a partridge rooster were rather muddy black or partridge/blue partridge. I didn't continue on with the mixed color ones, but did successfully get blue partridge continued through generations.

20200624_172755.jpg

This is one of her sons. He was so sweet he got to grow up, then went to a kid as a pet. You can see how muddy his feathering is. He's also sun bleached but he is black and brown.
36579004_821727594699296_6169400163388358656_n.jpg

She is from a blue hen, not just black so just think darker. The brown is more noticeable in person but you can see it here. Her offspring when bred back to a partridge rooster were rather muddy black or partridge/blue partridge. I didn't continue on with the mixed color ones, but did successfully get blue partridge continued through generations.

View attachment 2211318

This is one of her sons. He was so sweet he got to grow up, then went to a kid as a pet. You can see how muddy his feathering is. He's also sun bleached but he is black and brown.
View attachment 2211330
Not bad I thought it be black with golden leakage but the ones u got actually look really cute .

Are you a seller or did you sex the chicks for your own information?
Amber Waves Silkies has a standard selling price for chicks and then they add the $15 per DNA sexed birds -- if 10 chicks were tested at $15@ that's $150 total for the batch -- just as an example only: if each pullet chick sells for $35 but only two females were sexed out of a batch (8 chicks tested cockerels) -- then $150 is distributed to the selling price of the two DNA pullet chicks making them cost the regular $35 plus $75 of the divided cost of the DNA testing bringing the price of the two pullet chicks up to $105@. If 10 chicks were all tested positive as female then $150 divided between 10 chicks is $15@ added to the regular selling price of $35 to have a selling price for each female chick at $50@. That's how it was explained to me why DNA sexed chicks can fluctuate in price -- it all depends on how many chicks tested positive as cockerels and of course sellers usually can't GIVE away cockerels let alone trying to sell them at $5 or $10 each. Most sellers have to eat the DNA test batch cost of cockerels so to keep from losing $$$ they push the test batch cost onto the selling price of pullet chicks. To me it's worth it to buy from a seller who DNA tests chicks so I don't get attached to a baby cockerel that I'm not zoned for. It's so heartbreaking that cockerels are so unwanted :hit
Going through this right now.. successfully stayed unattached, until now.... both me and the kid are already sad. Awaiting dna results that are delayed due to covid.

Back
Top Bottom