Silkie thread!

They really aren't hurting anything to stay here. Just my feed bill 😆 I really don't do anything with my chicks except, keep them for myself, or give them to a friend for pet homes. I do have a extra cute black silkie/cochin cross, that I think is a pullet. Would make a nice future hen for Gmork (frizzle)! I have a mix bantam flock, of silkies (hope to have at least one of my last 3 be a pullet), silkie crosses, D'uccles, D'uccle crosses, seabrights, and polish. So the rooster would be covering a variety of hens. So I guess the main thing is what silkie to maybe get some better looking silkies. Im not overly worried about what the random mixes will look like. But if i hatch silkie hens eggs, then might as well have some good looking rooster to cover them. I think the one blue 2 month old should be pretty nice looking, as it grows up. Ill go snap some pictures.

If I were just hatching for myself and friends and wanted some cute pets I'd be very tempted with Gmork and the possibility of frizzles!

I get what you mean though, kinda nice to have the best looking silkie rooster when hatching out some pure silkies.

Last edited:
Are silkies cuter in real life then in pictures?? I look on google and they don’t look as cute as the ones on BYC!!

I'd say it really depends on their breeding and condition. Hatchery silkies can still be pretty adorable but they rarely match the fluffiness of what a good breeder has! I'm guessing google has all sorts of qualities of silkie when you search for them. :)

I don't think I've posted pictures of my silkies in this thread in a long time (maybe not at all). Here are some of my grow outs I'm keeping from this year. There are still lots of flaws I've got to work on in my flock but for the first year of breeding I'm pretty happy. They are all from paint breeding as that is the main color variety I am working on. :)

Some of the girls

View attachment 2258565
View attachment 2258575
View attachment 2258576
View attachment 2258578
View attachment 2258579
This last one (Mini) sadly has wry tail/roach back so won't be used for breeding but I think she is adorable so I had to include her. She feels half as heavy as her siblings and is just a tiny little thing (despite the fluff making her look only a little smaller).

And here are some boys.

View attachment 2258589View attachment 2258590
Both the same boy, Frances who is getting to be a little booger (not attacking but he's doing a lot of tidbitting in that challenging way, hopefully he'll calm down but we'll see.
:rolleyes:

View attachment 2258604

This guy is a little younger and still filling out, I'm guessing his crest will stay small but his sisters crests are great so I think he still has potential. If I do use him he'll be over black from paint hens to hopefully get paint and to help with his pigment issues.
Gorgeous!:love

Hi
I have a Silkie roo looking for a new home. Town ordinance won’t allow us to keep him. Please, NO freezer camp!

Vernon, CT

Attachments

• 5F682A64-75E5-475F-9805-DB220EFEDBDF.jpeg
    5F682A64-75E5-475F-9805-DB220EFEDBDF.jpeg
    772.6 KB · Views: 9
  • D94AC952-6648-4390-8785-B5DFD15D371D.jpeg
    D94AC952-6648-4390-8785-B5DFD15D371D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OK, i just plucked feathers out of my little sweeties under much protest from them and am sending them out to iQbirdtesting as you @AngBantamLuv did with yours! I am sending all six of my silkies as well as my other 2 "undetermined", a silver laced orpington I hatched, that also takes months to develop, and a little white chick I hatched from a fertilized grocery store egg, that I am pretty sure is a roo, but sending it as well just for fun.:)
I will be sure to post results. Curious what their accuracy is.
Just got the results back!
Pretty much what I suspected.
Pip, Jane (now Jaden) and Asher are cockerels.
Zelda, Kana and Layla are pullets.
Layla was the most questionable as she has streamers.
My grocery store chick (all white) hatched from a brown egg (likely second generation red sexlink, but not sure) is a pullet! Yay! This little thing is my favorite, follows me around and loves attention!
And my Silver laced orpington is a pullet! Yay!
I already have homes for the extra roos, a friend wanted new blood lines for his flock. Will keep one of them, Asher, who is a sweetheart!
So happy!:love

Just got the results back!
Pretty much what I suspected.
Pip, Jane (now Jaden) and Asher are cockerels.
Zelda, Kana and Layla are pullets.
Layla was the most questionable as she has streamers.
My grocery store chick (all white) hatched from a brown egg (likely second generation red sexlink, but not sure) is a pullet! Yay! This little thing is my favorite, follows me around and loves attention!
And my Silver laced orpington is a pullet! Yay!
I already have homes for the extra roos, a friend wanted new blood lines for his flock. Will keep one of them, Asher, who is a sweetheart!
So happy!:love

Nice you got so many pullets! Glad you have homes lined up for the extra boys as well! :D

I'm breeding and growing out semi large groups and it can be so hard finding homes for the boys. In a recent hatch of 5 all of the combs are looking big, I'm not going to be surprised if that entire hatch is male. I've got 3 too young to tell and hopefully 4 on their way (incubating them now) I'm really hoping at least a few turn out to be pullets. :fl

Back
Top Bottom