Silkie thread!

Does the DNA test results tell you anything else besides just the sex? I'll find out for sure when they lay or don't lay I suppose, but apparently there are some that just don't lay. I'm actually looking some to hatch other chickens eggs besides just being companion birds for just to pet on. Oh goodness! That sounds like she had a good place for a good life while she lived. Sorry to hear that! What was deformed about her?
The deformed chick wasn't quite right from the start. She didn't run around like baby chicks usually do. To begin with we didn't notice how crooked and bent some of her toes were because of all the fluffy Silkie feathers on legs and toes. We soon noticed that she was missing a fifth toe which SOP for Silkies is 5. The reputable breeder was mortified to have passed her on to us and gave us a new replacement chick. They're reputable private Silkie breeders we bought from them before.

If we gave the deformed chick back to the breeder they would've just culled her but we agreed to keep and nurse her for as long as needed. She gradually ate less and less and her new growth feathers were strange. She was not absorbing nutrients and there was nothing we or our vet could do for malformed internal organs. She was so tiny we didn't want to put her through a bevy of tests. She was content to be a lap baby till she passed. Vet said she probably would've died sooner in a clutch of new hatches on a farm but human care made her life last a little longer.

I have no idea what DNA-sexing does other than tell you if it's a male or female chick. If you are curious look up chicken DNA testing on the internet to see if any of your questions get answered 😊

Ignore their wings. They are usually tucked properly but this isnt a very good perch and they kept flapping to be stable.

This gentleman who's about a year old is the one I was talking about. His great grandfather was where the black came from. He's a bit sun bleached.

View attachment 3767894

This man is about 5 months old I believe. Not mature yet. He is from just partridge on partridge breeding. Needs better saddle and hackle as well. Comb color isn't bad but it's also not full size yet. Will be nice to see his adult self. Thought he'd be moorhead but he's getting very redheaded.
View attachment 3767897

This was a sport. He was full partridge and came out looking like this. Was super friendly and I would have kept him just for that but I was contacted for a kid friendly rooster so he went to a home to be a pampered lawn ornament.
View attachment 3767903
Your sweeties are always gorgeous! I've always loved the Black contrast Partridges -- but of course I love all Partridges -- from the pale Blues, bright Golds, to our sweet new Moorhead. LOVE them all! 4 of our Silkies are Partridge varieties except our 5th new all Black chick. But I suspect she has Partridge lineage since she has two Blue feathers in her cushion? She's still little so I'll have to see if that changes later. Silkies seem to be at their best, fullest, and brightest colors around 6 to 7 months old. After living outdoors, foraging, and dustbathing the colors seems to change with their new molt feathers. Our Silver Partridge gradually changed to more gold feathers. She's still gorgeous -- just looks so different from her pullet days.

SILVER PARTRIDGE & BLUE/GOLD PARTRIDGE PULLETS
GINNY-SUZU AE  1-23-2021.jpg

DSCN0103.JPG

DSCN0202.JPG

ONE-&-1/2 YEARS LATER
DSCN0333.JPG

3 YEARS LATER
DSCN1534.JPG

Back
Top Bottom