Silkie thread!

so sweet. do you have any silkie serama's? am curious, would like to get one but not sure if all silkies have feathered feet? am new to the chicken world but i love the one i have. she's so sweet and is a serama. :) rinett
Thank you, Rinett! I do have a silkied Serama hen and have Serama chicks, but they all have regular feathering.

I believe Sonoran touched on this subject a while back and said a silkied Serama is not a Silkie Serama cross. Here is a thread you might like to view.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/622175/silkied-serama

My little hen is pictured there.

[COLOR=800080]A few of my new babies. [/COLOR]
love.gif
[COLOR=800080] I'm up to two dozen with more under broodies and in the incubator! WHEW!!!![/COLOR]
What color would you call the lighter chick in the last 2 pictures? They are very cute. My babies are cute but your babies are amazing.

What color would you call the lighter chick in the last 2 pictures? They are very cute. My babies are cute but your babies are amazing.

Thank you very much! Good question Momma 2 Silkies. She (I hope SHE) is one of the colors that has me baffled. One of my silkie friends thinks maybe a light blue. She actually has a greenish cast to her and she has more greenish color the older she gets. When hatched I thought splash.
idunno.gif
I will try to take a few pictures of her tomorrow, because maybe someone will see it that has had this color chick and can help me. Maybe white with a silver gene?

So excited to have found this thread! I just got my first chicks one week ago. 5 different breeds all a week old. Then I found myself a blue silkie... I got her (I hope) from a hatchery that got her from a place in Texas... she didn't give me the name. I hope she is a real fluffy one like the beautiful silkies that I see on this thread. So far she is a winner in my book. I am in love with her. Such a sweetheart. Someday I would like to get a show quality silkie. (or maybe mine will turn out to be the most beautiful of all
wink.png
)

Anyhow, her name is Marbles and I love her. Here are some photos I took yesterday of her.

will most of them hatch? anyone know?
I don't think anyone can answer that for you. Are all the eggs fertile? Have you candled them and see development in all the eggs? There are a lot of factors involved with a hatch. You may have a 100% hatch rate or you may have 50% or lower. We'll be keeping our fingers crossed for you.
fl.gif

So excited to have found this thread! I just got my first chicks one week ago. 5 different breeds all a week old. Then I found myself a blue silkie... I got her (I hope) from a hatchery that got her from a place in Texas... she didn't give me the name. I hope she is a real fluffy one like the beautiful silkies that I see on this thread. So far she is a winner in my book. I am in love with her. Such a sweetheart. Someday I would like to get a show quality silkie. (or maybe mine will turn out to be the most beautiful of all
wink.png
)

Anyhow, her name is Marbles and I love her. Here are some photos I took yesterday of her.

Marbles is very cute!

Thank you, Rinett! I do have a silkied Serama hen and have Serama chicks, but they all have regular feathering.

I believe Sonoran touched on this subject a while back and said a silkied Serama is not a Silkie Serama cross. Here is a thread you might like to view.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/622175/silkied-serama

My little hen is pictured there.
thank you am very interested. i perfer featherless feet only cause i like them clean. yours are adorable. rinett

I am looking for a little advice and reassurance (if merited). Saturday my DH, DS and I got 16 gorgeous day old silkie chicks. 15 white and 1 surprise splash that just happened to hatch. So naturally, the splash is an instant family favorite. Aptly named Truman until proven otherwise. Well Truman, is literally half the size of his/her hatch mates, and has a mild case of spraddle. His spraddle doesn't seem to hinder him from getting around and eating, drinking etc. I was initially worried, but Tru eats, drinks, and poops like the best of them. He does get ran over a bit if there's something more interesting on the other side of the brooder. However he recovers like a champ from these small tramples and joins the other peeps in whatever they were checking out.
I suppose my question is what should I do with Tru? Leave well enough alone and monitor the interactions btw him and his brooder mates to the best of my ability. If I don't try to brace his spraddle will it get worse? Why would he be half the size? I will try to take and add some pictures when my DS gets up. Does Truman need his own space until he catches up in size?
Insight is very much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom