Silkie thread!

I have a working theory going on Silkies. The boys tend to have a defined straight line from the start of their tail poof. The girls tend to arch up toward their mid back when looking directly over them. I have been 100% accurate with birds 4mo and older.

The rooster that fathered this splash had a really nice, round cushion. He was very girly. His comb was very small. I'm still leaning towards pullet too, but figured I'd check. I REALLY need a nice boy, I haven't hatched many cockerels this year and right now I am roo-less :(

I have a working theory going on Silkies. The boys tend to have a defined straight line from the start of their tail poof. The girls tend to arch up toward their mid back when looking directly over them. I have been 100% accurate with birds 4mo and older.

The rooster that fathered this splash had a really nice, round cushion. He was very girly. His comb was very small. I'm still leaning towards pullet too, but figured I'd check. I REALLY need a nice boy, I haven't hatched many cockerels this year and right now I am roo-less :(
In in the opposit boat. I have 4 Silkie girls and 5 boys. Buff trio, solo Porcelain(special needs), a Black cockerel, 2 each of Blues.

Would anyone have one or two white bearded Silkie pullets for sale? Preferably in the New England area to avoid shipping? Breeding quality is fine.

The rooster that fathered this splash had a really nice, round cushion. He was very girly. His comb was very small. I'm still leaning towards pullet too, but figured I'd check. I REALLY need a nice boy, I haven't hatched many cockerels this year and right now I am roo-less
sad.png

Wish you were closer! I am being overrun by Catdance roos I hatched out this last spring! I found a home for a buff boy today - and I can't believe how hard it was to let him go! I am so attached to those fuzzballs! But...alas, 11 boys is WAY too many, and he went to a really nice guy!

I have an 8 week old silkie (sizzle) who is attempting to crow, is this normal at such an early age? Is this a sure sign he's a he? His wattles are red and his comb is red. I'm guessing his comb is not blue because he was crossed with a frizzle? I have no idea. But this guy had wattles Comming in at around 3 to 4 weeks. And he/she is not very nice either.

Checking in with a couple of updates from my little farm aka my backyard.
wink.png

Yipee!!! My first Silkie hen (or hen of any kind for that matter) who laid her first egg on the 7th has gone broody with 12 eggs in her nest!
wee.gif
I'm relatively confident the eggs are fertile. I cracked her 1st two eggs - one was definitely fertile, the other I wasn't sure about. The roo is black and hen is blue. Both are from Bobbi Porto so the chicks should be gorgeous if everything goes well and they hatch. Keeping my fingers crossed.
fl.gif

Next is more of a question about the coop Stormey is in. It is a predominantly open pen with 1/2" hard cloth floor and walls. There are a couple of paneled areas to protect against weather and wind. The pen sits 4" above a raised wood deck and her nesting box is a milk crate with hay in it. All-in-all, everything is open or has holes - the milk crate on hard cloth raised above a raised deck. I'm worried about her being able to keep the eggs as warm as she needs to with no solid surface underneath. Should I slip something under the crate/nest to help hold the heat?
No. She will do a fine job on her own. I would suggest lining the nest with shavings, though.

Back
Top Bottom