Silkie thread!

Here are some of my Babies & adult Silkies/Showgirl.

Two Splash-3mo old. Itty Bitty my 2.5yr old Hen - 1st Silky

Freida my Showgirl, 1.5yr & Bitty in the background.

This is a Blue. Don't know if male or female yet. From a Partridge Roo/Don't know which of my 3 hens it's from. I've a Black, White & a White Showgirl. I've another chick from Cacklery that is almost identical to this one, only slightly bluer.

This little chick looked like a Grizzley bear at hatching. If a female will name her Gizell.
Her breast is a light light grey, almost white but not quite. What do you think of the wing pattern?

This is the Showgirl. Don't know if she's a Grey or a Blue.

In the first pic of her (Jewel), her crest looks white, but this picture is more true. (Or does this chick look male?)

There is also little black chick. Name it Tiny Tina/Tim. he/she was the runt of the clutch. I had to hold the chicks for pictures. They are Momma raised, and all my Momma raised chicks don't care to be handled. When I have Brooder raised chicks they are more like Pets. These chicks were 4 wks old when I took the pics.

Last edited:
Of my 3 hens that were all laying eggs from a Partridge Roo, Freida my showgirl laid most of the 11 eggs (10 hatched). The majority of the chicks were either Grey or Blue. One Black & one Showgirl. The only other time Freida had Showgirl chicks was when mated to another Showgirl. (I sold the other 7 Silky chicks-kept 3).

well, i brought the suspected one in and she pooped and it wasn't bloody. but then again, I only saw one bloody poop in the coop. so who knows!

how long can I keep baby away from mom and mom will take her back?

I wouldn't even risk it. If you are having a continual cocci problem , it would be wiser to treat everyone. While the youngsters are getting a " treatment " dose it won't hurt the others to have a " maintainance " dose. I'm not sure whether you have liquid or powder , but they should have the full dose for 5-7 , then 1/2 dose for a further 5-7 days, then 1/2 that again for another 5-7 days. This gradual reduction in the level of treatment assists your birds to develop immunity .
To allow the correct development of immunity some exposure to coccidia is required.

I wouldn't even risk it. If you are having a continual cocci problem , it would be wiser to treat everyone. While the youngsters are getting a " treatment " dose it won't hurt the others to have a " maintainance " dose. I'm not sure whether you have liquid or powder , but they should have the full dose for 5-7 , then 1/2 dose for a further 5-7 days, then 1/2 that again for another 5-7 days. This gradual reduction in the level of treatment assists your birds to develop immunity .
To allow the correct development of immunity some exposure to coccidia is required.
well gee, nobody told me the reduction part before! No wonder I keep having problems! I keep just finishing the full dose after the 7 days!

Ella went broody even though there was nothing in her nest box. She's one of the indoor chickens who lives in my mudroom. Her companion, Thunderhead, is all confused why she's not spending time with him anymore. I tried breaking her of it by removing her nest box, but all she did was find a corner, scratch around in the sand and settle back down again like her imaginary eggs moved to that spot since her nest is no longer available.

I wish I had a fertile egg or two to give her, but I don't even know if any of my roosters are fertile yet. They're quite incompetent. They're five to six-month-old silkies and a cochin who haven't figured out yet a little romance goes a long way. Grabbing someone's neck and mounting her just gets them thrown off and pecked. And they don't go for the silkie or cochin hens who are closer to their size. No, they go for the LF hens who are like five-six pounds compared to their two or so pounds. White Flame is so totally in love with Henrietta, the largest of the RIR that he gets upset of any other rooster shows her affection. Even when they do bother to romance and get a willing hen, they end up mating with with her back rather than the appropriate area.
lau.gif
It's a good thing I'm not really looking to breed my silkies or anything. It might be years before I get anything.

Back
Top Bottom