Silkie thread!

I don't know the genetics of it, but I know porcelain is also called "self blue cream", so there's blue in there somewhere!

Sorry, no there isn't - and that is why I don't like the term "Self-Blue" for birds based on the Lavender gene. There is NO Blue in Self-Blue - not the way we make it. There WAS Blue used in the beginning of breeding Self-Blue Silkies because of this misconception - so some Self Blues also carry Blue (or splash) - but to me that messes up the genetics and makes it harder to figure out who is carrying what. The gene that makes our Self Blue birds is called Lavender. With one copy you get nothing showing (splits) - with two copies it mutes all colors.

Blue birds cannot create Self-Blue color unless they are carrying the hidden Lavender. Lavender mutes both Black and Red - so all colors will be muted. Blue only mutes Black - red is not changed. That's how you know the difference.

There is a possibility your birds may be carrying hidden Lavender (especially if they are rejects from a Porcelain/Self-Blue Creme breeding pen). If that is the case then the bird will stay the muted gray - never get splashes - and when crossed to a bird not carrying Lavender the gene will go into hiding again and all colors will come back.

If you are seeing red on your black/blue birds then I suspect you have red leakage from under your White birds. Use all of those children to breed only Whites. That red is really really REALLY hard to get rid of - and its a DQ on any solid colored bird. It is fine on the Partridge one - that is the only color that wants that red.

It took so long to type and edit this that Sonoran said the same thing - shorter and better probably. I know the APA/ABA doesn't like the term Lavender - but I don't like the term Self Blue because of the confusion. And there actually are birds out there based on Blue that are Self Blue - the original OEGB Self-Blue were made that way. To learn more (or get more confused) read the Lavender Silkies thread.

I see, thanks! I don't breed (can't have boys here), but the info is good to know!

It drives me nuts when they call colors things that they aren't (like self blue when there is no blue). We're starting to run into people doing that with sugar glider coloring, and it just makes me want to rip my hair out.

Well, Ella's eggs should be hatching this week. I wrote down the date I put the eggs under her on my calendar, which my son knocked into the sink and ruined. I don't remember the exact date now. I just remember pushing an egg that was half hanging out back under her after coming home from a Halloween party on November 1st.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Quote: First, varieties are based upon appearance, not genetics. If a bird meets the standard for the variety, then that is what it is, regardless of how different its genetic makeup may be from what is the usual for the variety.

You can make a self-blue using the blue gene, but it is difficult to get rid of the darker head/hackle/saddle feathering. Chris09 has some explanation on one of his teaching posts/threads (not a silkie thread). But the fact that you can does not mean that it is the norm, or that it will breed the same. Even before porcelain/self-blue cream/blue cream was conceived, silkie people had been breeding lavender into blues. I recall a post from way back when on the old ASBC yahoo group where a number of long term breeders lamented that finding a blue with no lavender bred into it was getting more and more difficult.

Blue dilutes red SLIGHTLY, but not significantly. Lavender dilutes SIGNIFICANTLY.

As a variety, lavender silkies were 20 years in the making. Porcelain/self-blue cream/blue cream was conceived as an idea only about six or seven years ago. There are nice ones out there that fit the original concept, but far too many folks think that if a bird shows both buff and light blue it is porcelain. Or even light blue and red.

In my experience, birds tha are both splash and lavender (Bl/Bl lav/lav) look more like the splash than like the lavender. You will see the streaks that are in splash. It is less likely to have a white background. And it may or may not be overall lighter than other splash without lavender.

Does anyone know where I can get friendly show silkies near Boulder, CO? We do not want to ship and I can't find any near us. Thanks!

A partridge girl should have a lot of penciling showing on her wings (earliest place t see it); boys' colour comes in first on back and shoulders. But some partridge develop their markings much later than others.

HI- Can penciling come later as they grow? I have a little partridge girl that I love! She has a dark head, and no noticeable penciling. I know that she won't grow some red on her head- but what about penciling? She's going on 6 months old.

Thanks!

Pam

HI- Can penciling come later as they grow? I have a little partridge girl that I love! She has a dark head, and no noticeable penciling. I know that she won't grow some red on her head- but what about penciling? She's going on 6 months old.

Thanks!

Pam

Sorry- just saw that you said that they can
tongue.png
Hope that applies to penciling.

Thanks!

Pam

Back
Top Bottom