Silkie thread!

Guys i am not mad or anything,but he is an excellent rooster. He doesnt have spikes on his comb, but I know it might look like it from that picture. The judges told me that he was a good rooster. In the picture I had not blow dryed him good yet.

Okay, that's good to know. Can you get another picture if him?

Could everyone critique these chickens, and tell me how much the hatching eggs from these chickens should be priced. Keep in mind that the rooster won 1st at a show and the white hen won second. The first two are silkies and the third is a sizzle

I've seen rare breed LF eggs go for $6-$8 each shipping included in price. However, Silkies are just not a rare breed no matter how gorgeous. It helps that your birds got some show awards but $3 each or under for consistent/numerous SQ parent eggs might be acceptable to me personally if I were a breeder. The thing about Silkies is that there are so-o-o many respectable conscientious breeders that are usually a hop-skip-and-a-jump from us that eggs wouldn't be that appealing. Don't get me wrong, I ADORE my Silkies and one is a show quality yet I only paid $10 for her as a 2-month-old. I guess it all depends on what you think your birds are worth $$-wise. Since Silkies breed so easily and abundantly and takes a breeder a while to build a reputation for high show winners for anyone to want their stock, birds/eggs don't really command a high price. Also, there are always an abundance of Silkie egg bids on ebay which might be a good place to peruse for ideas of what people are willing to bid for stock from reputable breeders. Only because I am a PQ person and not SQ I personally wouldn't pay the high SQ prices or bid the high ebay prices. Good luck with your venture -
thumbsup.gif

I had to move my house silkies pen into the basement from the mudroom since the heater out there broke. It's 28 degrees F out in that room now and the three-month-old chicks have never experienced anything colder than about 60 degrees F. They're living on fleece on a tile floor now and my husband doesn't exactly want me putting wood chips (he hates the smell) or sand down in his man cave that he temporarily gave up until its warmer. So, I'm looking for options for entertainment. They were on sand in their previous pen. I'd scatter scratch in it for them to find and they could dust bathe. They spent all day just foraging in that sand like chickens do. Well, it's hard to dust bathe and scratch on fleece, unfortunately. Nor can I hide bits of food in it for them to dig up. They've tried foraging behaviors, but I've found when I observe them, they're just sitting or standing around if they don't happen to be eating. I don't want them to get bored. I've found they like pecking those little plastic golf balls around and the kids put a parrot toy in there that's way too big for our parakeets to play with in there they enjoy throwing and kicking it around. What else could I do to make sure they're entertained? How about hay to scratch in? I've heard it can cause crop impaction, but will a little bit at a time be safe?

Last edited:

The whole gang here, hatched 16 chicks! All silkies, everyone has 5 toes, except two of them, but I love them all!!! the guy with spots on his back I think hatched from a paint egg, does that seem like the right color? have two with spots on them like that... only hatched one partridge egg and that was not it... it's the little chick standing in the lid a couple images down... guess time will tell on all of them. :)

Back
Top Bottom