Silkie thread!

yeah, thats kinda happening to me.....i still love all my other chooks, but my favourtite breed is silkies...and i want to full time breed silkies...

ME TOO, I am totally sold on the silkie breed, I am working on breeding sizzles. I hope this summer, I am able to have a hen hatch eggs herself!
I am new to raising chickens but after a short year, I have decided sizzles are the only chickens for me!
love.gif

Pam, glad you are staying on your medicine and doing well!

I agree - if you are diagnosed please take your medicine whether you think you need it or not. Five years ago in April my son took his own life after stopping his bi-polar medication. I miss him!

On to chickens... sold the last of my "for sale" chicks today - so the brooder is empty and ready for the lavender silkies and white silkies that are in the incubator! So excited to get lavender chicks at last!
OH wow, I'm so sorry
hugs.gif
. Lavenders- I've had 3 lavenders and 1 black split hatch within the last 3 wks (different times). Girls are still sitting on some eggs.

I have a question for all you silkie peeps. Is a red comb on a silkie a genetic anomaly or a result of cross breeding? I understand it's a fault however does that fault stem from a gentic fluke or does it stem from cross breeding? ? Most of my silkies have black or mulberry combs but I have two that developed into very small reddish combs. They are black skinned, 5 toed, extra fluffy, beautifully feathered feet, correct beak color and leg color, just as my other silkies but these two developed a small red comb while my others are black combed. So my question is, would the red comb fault be a result of cross breeding along the way or is it a genetic anomaly that can happen in silkies from time to time? Hopefully someone can answer this for me. Thanks
yeah, when i frist got my silkie roo, the lady was saying stuff about black and red combs, and she said that you can't show red combed rooster, whys this??

Hi in Arkansas and it's wonderful to find all the Bipolars coming out of the "closet" LOL. So glad to hear about your success on meds.

I kept one of my Silkies 4-months in-house and let her toodle outside daytime with a fence between her and the flock so they could get used to her before integrating her at 6 months old. After integration she got attacked by a huge Cuckoo Marans who was re-homed. It wasn't until we re-homed an aggressive White Leghorn also before she started to toodle around with the other older Silkie. I won't try integrating just one pullet at a time. Too stressful for them. Glad I don't have to add any more this year. With only 5 hens zoned it's not easy to integrate more than one pullet at a time or we'd be over-limit.
I have different pen and hen house set up for silkies when I got to put them outside just wondering with temps in the 60s during the day if its okay to let them out this young I'm shooting for pure silkies and don't want to take a chance of my large fowl mounting them

Hi everyone I'm really worried about one of my silkie eggs, I'm at day 18 now and I'm not sure if this is the right size air bubble.https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6231208/width/200/height/400[MG] can someone please tell me if this egg is ok or not.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it's trying to or already internally pipped!!!!!! Hurry and put it back in the incubator so it can hatch!!! Lol!

Thank you
hugs.gif
Congrats on your hatches. Is the black split intentional? Does it give them better color or something? I think the Lavenders are so pretty! Is that a porcelain in your avatar? I'm supposed to be getting a few of those in a couple of weeks here. I wish I could afford to have a pen for every color!!
Kind of intentional. I hatched 1 lavender hen and 1 black split out of a breeder's eggs. So, I bred them to a lavender roo for lavenders from the one hen, and about a 50/50 chance of lav for the black split. Also, I have a black that is not split for lavender in the pen with him. I read that the blacks from lavender pens are darker (?) black than those from black/blue/splash pens. So, I thought I'd raise the blacks out of those as my blacks. lol- am I making sense? All of my blacks will be split for lavender. Except for my blacks split for Paint..... I'll be hatching those separately, and putting purple bands on the black/lavenders. Another color band for the Black/Paint.
th.gif
Pam

Thank you
hugs.gif
Congrats on your hatches. Is the black split intentional? Does it give them better color or something? I think the Lavenders are so pretty! Is that a porcelain in your avatar? I'm supposed to be getting a few of those in a couple of weeks here. I wish I could afford to have a pen for every color!!

Oh, yeah- porcelain in my avatar pic.

yeah, when i frist got my silkie roo, the lady was saying stuff about black and red combs, and she said that you can't show red combed rooster, whys this??

The comb and wattles should be of mulberry colour. That is the standard of perfection. If you are not interested in showing then it probably doesn't matter. I try to start with birds as close to SOP as I can. Any bird that has 4 toes or a red comb usually ends up being rehomed as a pet quality bird.
The term ' mulberry "' is very broad. If you've ever seen a mulberry tree the fruit vary from un ripe red to over ripe black and every shade in between.

Because the red comb is NOT the standard of perfection. It is a disqualification. Although it occurs naturally in pure bred silkies they consider it a fault. I'm not sure why because it's a naturally occurring genetic anomaly and NOT a result of cross breeding but that's just how they see it, as a fault. I think it's pretty but if your showing it's a BIG NO NO.its strange because my red combed silkies are beautiful, but judges wouldn't see them that way.

Back
Top Bottom