Silkie thread!

Blue baby, Before her booties-

Blue baby, After getting her booties-

She's still leaning to one side more and isent sure how to walk with them, but at least she's standing on her own for the first time in 3 days! She still lays back down alot but at least she tried walking for once when I first put them on. I sure hope this works :) Thanks for the idea you guys.
Oh SO CUTE! I hope it works!!

Hi everyone. I've LOVED all your pics!

I have a question and there is a similar thread but it was short. I had 12 silkie eggs that shipped to me from PA (I'm in GA). I also had 14 LF salmon faverolles shipped to me from Oregon (PiperOmar eggs). They arrived a day apart, the Favs arrived first. I let both batches sit for 24 hours and had some really bad air sacs and scrambles on the Favs which I knew was a possibility because EVERYTHING I get shipped USPS is beat to h311 when it arrives and these little guys traveled a long way. I'm just glad some were okay.

The silkies traveled a shorter distance and were in what appeared to be much better shape. I always recheck shipped eggs after a few days in the bator because i can see air sacs more clearly. I also put a couple of my own Ameracauna eggs in with them so I get a better idea of was it the eggs or bator problems that affect the hatch. On recheck of the favs, what I expected to be okay is veining up and looking good.

Unfortunately my silkies are not. The Ameracauna eggs that are in with the silkies are starting to vein lightly, (6 days in) but I see no signs from my cute little silkie eggs. I have never hatched bantam eggs before. Is there a different trick with these little guys? I handled them pretty much the same as my LF eggs. I am obsessive with my bators (despite wanting to throw them across the room most days) and I know that the one silkies are in has run a little on the cooler 99- 99.3 side. Would that be a problem for the silkie eggs? Air sacs look good, yolks look good. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing that has probably wrecked all my eggs.

When I hatch my own eggs I get 100% 9 out of ten hatches and never less than 90% so I'm pretty good at it. To loose a whole clutch just has me baffled. Thanks in advance for any input.

I think you shouldn't blame yourself, shipped eggs are 50/50 sometimes better, most times worse. Silkie eggs I have heard are hard to hatch, though I don't know exactly why I am sure someone here does. Sorry for your frustration!

Hi I am picking up a silkie tonight who is rumored to be broody. If she is really broody when I get there I will just get her and her eggs but the girl I am getting her from is young and even less experienced than I am so I am not sure if she has just collected a clutch or if she is sitting on them or what. If she isn't setting on them she will need a friend so I will be bringing home two silky girls tonight.

Anything I should know?

Reposting this b/c I was lost in the no man's zone at the bottom of the page.
wink.png

I too have heard that they can be difficult to hatch and I am hoping that some of the silkie vets with chime in with some tricks of the trade. Thanks for your words of encouragement.
I think you shouldn't blame yourself, shipped eggs are 50/50 sometimes better, most times worse.  Silkie eggs I have heard are hard to hatch, though I don't know exactly why I am sure someone here does.  Sorry for your frustration!

Last edited:
I too have heard that they can be difficult to hatch and I am hoping that some of the silkie vets with chime in with some tricks of the trade. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

I know what is like to get so excited for the potential inside that little egg and have it not work out.
hugs.gif

Blue baby, Before her booties- Blue baby, After getting her booties- She's still leaning to one side more and isent sure how to walk with them, but at least she's standing on her own for the first time in 3 days! She still lays back down alot but at least she tried walking for once when I first put them on. I sure hope this works :) Thanks for the idea you guys.
O.M.G. It's a silkie duck! Lol. That may be the cutest thing I have ever seen. I hope it does well with the orthotics. Silkies are tough little fluff balls. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hi everyone. I've LOVED all your pics!

I have a question and there is a similar thread but it was short. I had 12 silkie eggs that shipped to me from PA (I'm in GA). I also had 14 LF salmon faverolles shipped to me from Oregon (PiperOmar eggs). They arrived a day apart, the Favs arrived first. I let both batches sit for 24 hours and had some really bad air sacs and scrambles on the Favs which I knew was a possibility because EVERYTHING I get shipped USPS is beat to h311 when it arrives and these little guys traveled a long way. I'm just glad some were okay.

The silkies traveled a shorter distance and were in what appeared to be much better shape. I always recheck shipped eggs after a few days in the bator because i can see air sacs more clearly. I also put a couple of my own Ameracauna eggs in with them so I get a better idea of was it the eggs or bator problems that affect the hatch. On recheck of the favs, what I expected to be okay is veining up and looking good.

Unfortunately my silkies are not. The Ameracauna eggs that are in with the silkies are starting to vein lightly, (6 days in) but I see no signs from my cute little silkie eggs. I have never hatched bantam eggs before. Is there a different trick with these little guys? I handled them pretty much the same as my LF eggs. I am obsessive with my bators (despite wanting to throw them across the room most days) and I know that the one silkies are in has run a little on the cooler 99- 99.3 side. Would that be a problem for the silkie eggs? Air sacs look good, yolks look good. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing that has probably wrecked all my eggs.

When I hatch my own eggs I get 100% 9 out of ten hatches and never less than 90% so I'm pretty good at it. To loose a whole clutch just has me baffled. Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi- I don't have a helpful comment- just wanted to say that I'm in North GA, too. Trenton. I probably know you, but didn't see the name
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom