Silkie thread!

I got my broody Carmela a non bearded Silkie moved tonight. I picked up her nesting box (covered cat litter box) and moved it into the garage in a XL dog kennel. I had marked the original eggs she was sitting on she had a extra 8 under her for a total of 16. I gave her 8 out of my splash, frizzle, sizzle coop. I need to get my frizzle broody out of that coop. She is also on 8 eggs. The broodies were raised together but have been separated for about 6 weeks. Do you think I could move their nest into the same kennel?

Mine happily co-parent, but be warned there will be some ' musical eggs ' ( stealing eggs from one another ).

Well I stold Carmela's eggs out from under Bonnie. She had acquired extra in the 3 days she has been on the nest. Bonnie is a black frizzle Silkie out of my breeding coop. Carmela was in the d'Uccle house with a few otger odds and end bantam. Their eggs will be due in a 3 day period and I will have a empty incubator incase that is needed.

Same chick day old

Can someone please post a picture of a splash chick at a few days old.

Last edited:
Thx. Its amazing they go from almost white to blue. This is the baby I'm wondering about.

Check out the foot feathering on this little doll. She has it on all 5 toes.

Hi! I'm not new to chickens, but just now getting back into it, after almost a year with no girls.
I got an assortment at TSC. Two they tell me are Silkies. One I have no doubts, but another one they told me is Silkie, but she doesn't have feathers on her feet.(yet). My question is, do they all have feathered feet?

Her name is Lucky Seven. Is she a Silkie? Thanks. We're so happy to have new (8) babies!

Last edited:
Hi! I'm not new to chickens, but just now getting back into it, after almost a year with no girls.
I got an assortment at TSC. Two they tell me are Silkies. One I have no doubts, but another one they told me is Silkie, but she doesn't have feathers on her feet.(yet). My question is, do they all have feathered feet?

Her name is Lucky Seven. Is she a Silkie? Thanks. We're so happy to have new (8) babies!

Silkies SHOULD have feathered feet. TSC orders their birds from hatcheries, usually Ideal poultry in my area. With hatchery chicks, you will often get less toes, or bad feathering, bad coloration or all of the above, not always, but very often.

There are some awesome pics of day old chicks just above your post and very little about Lucky 7 resembles them. It's hard to say if it's just a hatchery quality silkie or a wrong chick got in the bin at this stage, there are a lot of hard feathers in the wing and I can't tell if the tufts are classic silkie feathering or just baby down from the pics. And the head is awfully slick for a silkie. But it's tough to say at this stage.

Either way it's a cutie pie. How does size compare to the others?

Rooster wing! :)

Back
Top Bottom