Silkie thread!

If you are keeping them in a cage I hope it is very roomy - at LEAST 4x4. That's what my friend used. She kept the chicks and momma in the 4x4 roofed dog kennel in the adult run (roof to keep jumping adults from pooping on the chicks below) - momma and 5 chicks in the kennel and a small log branch to use as a perch, a covered storage box or litter box for a nest, and of course water and food. It got crowded after a month so 3 cockerels were given away and left momma with 2 pullet chicks. Momma didn't need to be with the chicks any more and was released into the big pen. The 2 chicks stayed in the kennel cage until they were 4-1/2 months old and nearly full sized before their kennel door was opened to go in and out as they needed to mingle with the adults. There was the usual pecking order chasing but no serious fights or injuries as the juvies had learned during their cage time to be respectful of the adults. It's good for the juvies and adults to be equal in size otherwise smaller/younger birds get throttled.
it is about that size i also have 4 other chicks that are about 2 weeks younger and its getting a little bit crowded. can the 2 bigger chicks be taken from under the heat lamp

how old do juvies need to be before they can be left loose in the run during the day with the adults. my juvies are about 6-7 weeks it is supposed the be quite warm this week

I think it all depends on your flocks personality. I've been taking my Silkie juvies out this week. They are 8 weeks old. I make sure they eat their fill of chick starter for breakfast and then take them to the bantam coop. They spend the day there and I bring them in at night and feed them the chick starter again. I have 40+ birds free ranging from two coops and a barn. They all get along except for the typical rooster squabble.

Last edited:
it is about that size i also have 4 other chicks that are about 2 weeks younger and its getting a little bit crowded. can the 2 bigger chicks be taken from under the heat lamp
Before mingling decide whether the chicks are close in size. Even chicks will peck at other smaller or weaker chicks - it's a chicken thing. You'll have to make your own determination as I can't see what sizes you have.

This is one of the reasons I don't get different aged chicks at once. I add about two pullets once a year to the flock. First I started with two, then added two the following year, then added two this year (but one older pushy adult was re-homed and later in the year one juvie died from unknown internal cause - I suspect it was shipped to us needing worming plus she and her sister had lice too when we received shipment). Back down to 4 hens again so will add two new pullets again next year. That way we're not overwhelmed with introduction problems.

I keep introductions in pairs so the new pullets can hang out together from the established flock adults. Also getting two pullets once a year enables us to bond and socialize the new birds in-house during quarantine before gradually assimilating them into the fenced pen and then ultimately into the main flock.

If I didn't answer your question properly re-word it a different way or show photos.

This has worked for us because we have a small backyard. Others who have lots of space probably have a different way of doing things.

Just make sure your chicken has plenty of sand or dirt to bathe in and they usually take care of it themselves:) also I just googled how to bathe a chicken and tons of ideas and videos popped up:) when Ive washed my chickens I've used my deep kitchen sink filled up w a little bit of dawn, drained the water filled it back up and used a cup to rinse and I've also used my stand in shower with my long shower nozzle, I actually am in there w them tho lol hope that helps. :>
Help?
How do I bathe a silkie?

My guy, Cousin It, his butt is matted and dirty... We have only had him a month, and he has been pretty clean until we had a storm last week.

Ideas?

sorry for the poor picture quality but I'm wondering what you all think this little guy will feather out to be when he grows up...he has a Black Silkie mom and a Porcelain Silkie dad. All the chicks we've hatched out so far are dark grey with black stripes as chicks and then grow up to be Dark Blue Grey in color. This is our first chick to ever have any yellowing in him...so I really have no clue. Any ideas?:>

sorry for the poor picture quality but I'm wondering what you all think this little guy will feather out to be when he grows up...he has a Black Silkie mom and a Porcelain Silkie dad. All the chicks we've hatched out so far are dark grey with black stripes as chicks and then grow up to be Dark Blue Grey in color. This is our first chick to ever have any yellowing in him...so I really have no clue. Any ideas?:>
What a sweetie, i love the crest and color. My guess is it's still going to be a blue. Not light and not dark, just right in the middle :)

Just make sure your chicken has plenty of sand or dirt to bathe in and they usually take care of it themselves:) also I just googled how to bathe a chicken and tons of ideas and videos popped up:) when Ive washed my chickens I've used my deep kitchen sink filled up w a little bit of dawn, drained the water filled it back up and used a cup to rinse and I've also used my stand in shower with my long shower nozzle, I actually am in there w them tho lol hope that helps. :>

I bathe my chickens in plastic tub inside the big bath. Makes them feel secure but if they do jump out it's only into the the bath. Don't know that I would want the chicken in my kitchen sink, same place I wash my veges.

Back
Top Bottom