Silkie thread!

No, I dont think that it will correct itself--do youknow what VetWrap is?? I think that they sell it for people too, but not sure wat that version is called..It is a roll of material that only sticks to itself, --get a roll of it and cut 2 very thin strips, wrap those one strip around each leg, --not too tight--- then take a 3rd strip and wrap it around each of the strips on the legs--this will not only stay on better, but using the 3rd piece makes for very easy adjustments without having to rewrap each leg...

Are any of the toes curled?? I know that they can suffer form one or the other or both, but if one leg is sticking out and it is having trouble standing, my guess would be splay-- you could post a picture as well, that may help a lil more--

If the toes are curled, you can use the same VetWrap and wrape each toe individually-- I have had more success using that over trying to make a sandal or using bandaids/medical tape--plus you dont have to worry about it sticking to their very thin skin---

Vetwrap comes in all colors and patterns, I usually try to get a yellow or white --something that blends in with the legs to keep the other chicks from picking it

Thank you! I ordered some VetWrap - 1 day shipping. Hopefully the other chicks leave her alone. After looking again - her toes are not curled, so, I will just wrap the legs.

Thank you! I ordered some VetWrap - 1 day shipping. Hopefully the other chicks leave her alone. After looking again - her toes are not curled, so, I will just wrap the legs.
I read somewhere that you can do something similar with a bandaid. just cut a strip, and where the white is, put that between legs and the ends around the legs. Of course, if you have to adjust it is a pain. and you have to be careful that you don't pull out too much down...

Very welcome-- I know that Petco, Tractor Supply and pretty much any store that deals with either farm animals or pets carry it..I think its only about 2$ a roll--cheaper online but higher if you count shipping-- there is a blog--think its called the chicken chick or something like that--she has a great set of pics that walk you through using the vet wrap to fix both splay and curled toes

My splash was white until about a month old..but "she" does look almost identical to what my splash looked like when she was older..were both parents blue?? If not she may be a paint? Splash only results from a blue x blue

Eggs came from this black Frizzle Silkie, 2 Splash Silkie, and a white Sizzle hen and 2 blue Silkie roos.

i took this photo if my little silkie momma with her one little baby last Thursday...happy and enjoying the sunshine. Friday morning I found her dead...face down a little pool of blood out her beak. Baby was just fine and cuddled under her little bum. I am so sad!! Has anyone had this happen to them? She was a year old girl, about her 4th time being broody but the first time we let her hatch. The baby was a week old to the day. I just am curious if it was a fluke thing or a complication of broodiness?

One of my silkie chicks seems to have a case of spraddle leg. He can still stand, but the one leg wants to slip out to the side. It is maybe caused from curled toes? I put rubber drawer liner down for traction, before that I used paper towels and never had a problem. I tried bracing it with the hair elastic method, but he struggled so much that it came off and the other chicks were pecking at his feet with it on. What should I do? Can it resolve on its own, now that I put down the rubber lining?

Splayed legs will not resolve themselves, however if you treat it early it is correctable . Once you have taped the legs it only takes a couple of days to fix.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I disagree. single combs are just one of those thing that pop up every once and a while. I've bred single comb girls that are otherwise perfect to a breed standard roo and had perfect offspring

The OP was asking for opinions and I gave mine. As a breeder I would not be adding this DQ to my gene pool. This is why most breeders cull out imperfections.
If you sell a bird out as a ' pet quality ' only and the new owner decides to breed her , it can come back to bite you. As I said in my original post, she would have pride of place in my layer pen.

Very welcome-- I know that Petco, Tractor Supply and pretty much any store that deals with either farm animals or pets carry it..I think its only about 2$ a roll--cheaper online but higher if you count shipping-- there is a blog--think its called the chicken chick or something like that--she has a great set of pics that walk you through using the vet wrap to fix both splay and curled toes

I keep this bookmarked.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

Back
Top Bottom