Silkie thread!

I have a ? My young black/paint boy is a mouth breather. He actually seems lightheaded sometimes. He meanders never gets overly excited and gasps for air after swallowing. He has nothing lodged and is beautifully healthy otherwise. Good weight, good feather, bright eyed, there is an odd lump about the size of a peanut on the left side of his lower neck where it meets the body. The only oddity we have noticed is his nostrils seem flat in comparison to his sisters that is the same age. Has anyone ever noticed anything like this?
IM no expert AT ALL..just guessing totally ...but it doesnt sound good. to me.
Ive had some new chicks like this ...none made it.
I guessed a heart problem with mine.
Has he always been this way or recent.?
The lump i dont know what it is .
Wonder if they have a waddle at that age?
.Recently I had a new chick had a soft lump in his neck left side front..but additionally couldnt stand up fell over like a drunken sailor..he died at about a week or so old.
Hope someone has more positive things to say on yours though..Sorry for the downer

All my silkie eggs made it into lock down!
fl.gif
Hatch day is Tuesday!!!!!

One of my hens has an ear infection. I wouldn't have noticed it because she is acting fine, but I was just checking everyone over and noticed her ear was swollen, she had white crusty stuff around her eyes and ears and it had a little brown plug in it. I wet the area down with vetrycin eye wash and removed the plug. Poor girl had a bunch of stuff in there. I searched on here for how to treat, and it said neosporin without pain killer in the hole, and antibiotics. I started her on tylan and she seems to feel fine. No nasal or eye discharge. The thing is, whatever she has, the whole flock has already been exposed. Im hoping its just irritation or something causing it. No one else has issues except the hen i posted about yesterday who I have on antibiotics and poly vi sol for dizzinessand possible respiratory issues. I feel like it is pointless to separate them from the flock now. What do you all think? I have been putting vitamins in the flocks water, because I just wormed them all with valbazen 4 gdays ago. Still seeing foamy poops though. I want to start them on corid again for the follow up dosing, but I was waiting forthe valbazen to get finished doing its job. I cant believe the issues this year. They have a really clean coop, and no visitors are allowed near it. Grrrr :/ And the shoes we wear out thereare only for the coops.

Ear and eye / sinus related infection are usually symptoms of upper respiratory disease mycoplasma . Although mites can get into the ear cavity and cause great irritation to the host. The ear infection itself will be the cause of the dizziness . As I said in my post yesterday , I wouldn't have her on polyvisol for an extended period of time , there are avian formulas that are better suited.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2540&Itemid=2816

Ear and eye / sinus related infection are usually symptoms of upper respiratory disease mycoplasma . Although mites can get into the ear cavity and cause great irritation to the host. The ear infection itself will be the cause of the dizziness . As I said in my post yesterday , I wouldn't have her on polyvisol for an extended period of time , there are avian formulas that are better suited.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2540&Itemid=2816

Thanks. Its different than the other hen I think. I consulted a vet,we dont think its myco. None of the other symptoms present. Just ears. Im going to keep the ear cleaning and neosporin and tylan going to see if we have improvemnent in a few days. Fingers crossed.

My daughters want silkies. We are a small urban farm in a residential neighborhood. We do not have space for a large flock or multiple coops. Do Silkies mix well with other breeds. We want 2 Silkies and 3 strong egg layers. Would this be ok to do?
I have 1 Silkie with other breeds and she's fine! So yeah. It'd be OK.

Well ive been gone for a while so sorry about not updating but ive ben having some problems. Ive lost some of my chicks and others are showing physical deformities :( im going to have to put more down. Its been heart breaking. Ill never order from that hatchery again.

Well ive been gone for a while so sorry about not updating but ive ben having some problems. Ive lost some of my chicks and others are showing physical deformities :( im going to have to put more down. Its been heart breaking. Ill never order from that hatchery again.
sorry to hear of your losses. Can you om me the hatchery name?

Have you figured out exactly what it is that caused it? Perhaps we can help? Start from the beginning....

Back
Top Bottom