Silkie thread!

So, I picked up the rooster, and I am not convinced that it is 100% silkie. Comb and wattles are very red, and ears are WHITE!!!! not blue! and he is mean too, to top it off. They told me if it didn't work out, if he is too mean, they'd take him back. I know we could probably work with him on that, but do I even want to? maybe I need to post a photo.

Quote: "better type" generally means shape. So, a silkie that has a body shape/stance close (or closer) to the Standard of Perfection would be considered "better type".
To sum everything up, the red (technically mulberry?) comb and wattles would be a disqualification in the show ring. The blue earlobes are standard (though as someone else said, large).

I can't say anything about the genes to make mulberry combs etc because I haven't looked into them myself! Keep asking questions though, it's the only way to learn. :)

Quote:
There is not a red comb gene. A red comb means that either the bird is lacking the Fm gene that causes black skin, or it has other genes such as barring or wheaten that lighten the skin.
I think my friends have a Silkie that is lacking the Fm gene because he has a RED comb and wattles and his skin is like an off colored yellow.
I was 'chick sitting when I got this pic. He's much older now.

I love those big blue ear lobes! So cool
1f603.png

Is there ANY chance that my 14 week old Silkie pullet will take care of 2 almost 4 week old chicks?
Someone on the forum had their Australorp 1.5 week old Australorp adopt 2 Sebright chicks.

When I got some silkies I got a two week old chick and the rest were 4 and 5 weeks and the little one would just pick one of the older ones and follow it around and snuggle up to it at night .

Quote: Type is essentially shape: different breeds are shaped differently. A red comb is a disqualification (DQ) in a silkie. The bird in question's comb is not so red as to likely be DQed, but most breeders would prefer that it be darker, and in choosing which birds to keep, that might be a deciding factor.

Quote: Fm, not FM. That is the symbol for the fibromelanosis gene. It is the gene that causes black skin, meat, bones, organs, etc.

Quote: By extra toe, do you mean he has 6? or the proper 5? Most breeds of chickens have 4 toes per foot. Silkies are suposed to have 5 per foot. Silkies with anything other than the correct 5 are DQed.

Quote: Eggsactly.

Quote: "better type" generally means shape. So, a silkie that has a body shape/stance close (or closer) to the Standard of Perfection would be considered "better type".
To sum everything up, the red (technically mulberry?) comb and wattles would be a disqualification in the show ring. The blue earlobes are standard (though as someone else said, large).

I can't say anything about the genes to make mulberry combs etc because I haven't looked into them myself! Keep asking questions though, it's the only way to learn. :)
Red and mulberry are not the same. The standard calls for a mulberry comb. Mulberry is a dark purple colour; like the fruit of the mulberry tree: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...GU2mKbZWtPwwqGcTOLxJUvTLzw1bnoJ328SVUxMQGKIZw

Quote:
There is not a red comb gene. A red comb means that either the bird is lacking the Fm gene that causes black skin, or it has other genes such as barring or wheaten that lighten the skin.
I think my friends have a Silkie that is lacking the Fm gene because he has a RED comb and wattles and his skin is like an off colored yellow.
I was 'chick sitting when I got this pic. He's much older now.

Yes, that chick lacks Fm

Is there ANY chance that my 14 week old Silkie pullet will take care of 2 almost 4 week old chicks?
Someone on the forum had their Australorp 1.5 week old Australorp adopt 2 Sebright chicks.
Possible, but many wouldn't

Type is essentially shape: different breeds are shaped differently. A red comb is a disqualification (DQ) in a silkie. The bird in question's comb is not so red as to likely be DQed, but most breeders would prefer that it be darker, and in choosing which birds to keep, that might be a deciding factor.

Fm, not FM. That is the symbol for the fibromelanosis gene. It is the gene that causes black skin, meat, bones, organs, etc.

By extra toe, do you mean he has 6? or the proper 5? Most breeds of chickens have 4 toes per foot. Silkies are suposed to have 5 per foot. Silkies with anything other than the correct 5 are DQed.

Eggsactly.
So, if I wanted to show him, which I don't, you think his comb would be on the line for DQ? I would not call his comb a mulberry color but a very dark red.

No, he has 5 toes but Fancychooklady posted: "If you were showing a red comb is a DQ , as are 4 toes but it's fine in pet quality." I think I misunderstood what was being said. I think I thought she was saying for show quality he should only have 4 toes.

What color should his comb be? I don't know where the eggs came from that the hatchery had but is it possible they could have had some culls from SQ Silkies?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom