Silkie thread!

A few months ago I bought 2 silkie hens .. The paint silkie hen that I got was fertile and became broody and she hatched three chicks!! They all looked like paint silkies at first, but know (2 1/2 months old) have pretty red brown colors .. I thought they were just dirty .. A calico silkie is the father.. Is this normal.. Paint-calico silkies lol.. Could I show them????. They look to be very good quality

So, if I wanted to show him, which I don't, you think his comb would be on the line for DQ? I would not call his comb a mulberry color but a very dark red.

No, he has 5 toes but Fancychooklady posted: "If you were showing a red comb is a DQ , as are 4 toes but it's fine in pet quality." I think I misunderstood what was being said. I think I thought she was saying for show quality he should only have 4 toes.

What color should his comb be? I don't know where the eggs came from that the hatchery had but is it possible they could have had some culls from SQ Silkies?

I took him outside in the sunlight to get a really good look at his comb. I don't think it is a mulberry color. I think it's a dark red but definitely red.

I crossed my paint male to my lavender (self blue) hen and this was the result.

Two beautiful self blue chicks! I want more now. Eggs due again in ten days.
wee.gif

Here is a picture of my main man Rhett! Does his comb look to red or is it about the right color? What about his crest. I think maybe his previous owners might have cut it off. Will it ever grow back?

Now, that I would call mulberry. Not like Uncle Sam. I took him out in the sunlight to make sure I was getting a good view of the color and I would call his a dark red but still red.

In the sunlight it looks a bit darker than you can see here but still that is a very close approximation to the correct color he has.

I crossed my paint male to my lavender (self blue) hen and this was the result. Two beautiful self blue chicks! I want more now. Eggs due again in ten days.:weee
Beautiful! I had a pretty light gray colored chick but as she grew she darkened up :( Yours are gorgeous congrats!

Hey guys I need your help!
I'm chick sitting for a friend and they just let their chickens (13 weeks old) free range and they said to just let them out during the day and put them inside at night. (i have chickens too) Today was the first day and when we went out to let them out they were already out and all of them were fine except for one Silkie. He looks like he got attacked and them left alone. We brought him homw because we didn't want any of the other chickens hurting him and he looked very lethargic. I'm boiling him a egg now and I gave him sugar water. He has not eaten so do you think I should force feed him? He did drink a little.
I have some goat yogurt I could give him too (homemade). Should I try cutting the feathers around the areas with dry blood on them? What should I do about the swelling on his face? I opened that eye and it looks fine his other side is good too.
Please help
!

Little bit of blood on his wing.

His unharmed side of face.

Hey guys I need your help! [COLOR=333333]I'm chick sitting for a friend and they just let their chickens (13 weeks old) free range and they said to just let them out during the day and put them inside at night. (i have chickens too) Today was the first day and when we went out to let them out they were already out and all of them were fine except for one Silkie. He looks like he got attacked and them left alone. We brought him homw because we didn't want any of the other chickens hurting him and he looked very [COLOR=222222]lethargic. I'm boiling him a egg now and I gave him sugar water. He has not eaten so do you think I should force feed him? He did drink a little.[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I have some goat yogurt I could give him too (homemade). Should I try cutting the feathers around the areas with dry blood on them? What should I do about the swelling on his face? I opened that eye and it looks fine his other side is good too.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Please help[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]! [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Little bit of blood on his wing.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]His unharmed side of face.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
Keep him warm and offer him food and water. Irrigate the wound with betadine or antiseptic and then spray with vetericyne or something similar. If his eye needs treatment , irrigate with saline and put some Terramycin eye drops in. If you have any human antibiotic eye drops they will suffice.

Quote:
Keep him warm and offer him food and water. Irrigate the wound with betadine or antiseptic and then spray with vetericyne or something similar. If his eye needs treatment , irrigate with saline and put some Terramycin eye drops in. If you have any human antibiotic eye drops they will suffice.
He has food and water in with him. Should a put a heat lamp over him? I can't find his wounds. Should I try cutting the feathers around where there is blood? His eyes look fine. Right now he's sleeping with his head tucked in his wing. He's standing up.
Will any of these work to put on his wounds?

Back
Top Bottom