Silkie thread!

Here are my 3 day old silkies

These are 2 new babies. I let broodies sit on 6 silkie eggs and these were the 2 that I managed to save. All 6 hatched or were hatching, but the broodies killed them overnight... very sad and not a pretty sight. I put them under some of my LF. The one on the left was shrink wrapped and I managed to help it out and the one on the right I put in the bator and it hatched overnight. I prayed to the chicken gods for it to hatch so that the other will have a friend to grow up with. Notice the one on the left still has the umbilical cord.
they are sooooo precious! sorry to here about the bad broodies.

We had some ' winter babies ' hatch this morning.

Haha - Winter - while we here in the Northern Hemisphere are in the throws of 100 degree summer heatwaves! How cold can your winters get? We rarely get down to freezing and usually will be in the upper 30 degrees or so but mostly the 40's. We don't even turn on the house heater in the winter. Cutie chicks - one's got a really tall crest.

Everyone's babies are SO cute! Silkies are so irresistible! I can't part with these guys. Sold the other 7, but wanted to add more porcelain and the self blue (lavender) splash chick is an obvious pullet, and her full brother (also a lavender splash) is really gorgeous, so she is a keeper.

There are 3 Mille Fleur d'Anver chicks in with them.

Haha - Winter - while we here in the Northern Hemisphere are in the throws of 100 degree summer heatwaves!  How cold can your winters get?  We rarely get down to freezing and usually will be in the upper 30 degrees or so but mostly the 40's.  We don't even turn on the house heater in the winter.  Cutie chicks - one's got a really tall crest.

Our fire is lit and we get snowed in a few times a year. Our overnight minimums generally fall between -2 and zero degrees Celsius. Daytime temps 6-10 . Summer temps can be anywhere between 25 and 45 . Our autumns are beautiful.
There are several chicks, a few have vaulted skulls, will have a better look today . I like to check toes legs and beaks for any defects, before they reach 48 hours of age (increases your chances of correction ) Will get a group pic this morning. :)

Its funny of all 7 of my chicks the silkies and laced wydonette are the more timid ones now they are out in the large coop area.

Our fire is lit and we get snowed in a few times a year. Our overnight minimums generally fall between -2 and zero degrees Celsius. Daytime temps 6-10 . Summer temps can be anywhere between 25 and 45 . Our autumns are beautiful.
There are several chicks, a few have vaulted skulls, will have a better look today . I like to check toes legs and beaks for any defects, before they reach 48 hours of age (increases your chances of correction ) Will get a group pic this morning.
smile.png

When you say deformities what are you talking about? Extra toes? I think my silkies have extra toes and compared to my 2 RIR, 2 BO and 1 Laced Wydonette.

This is how they were coming home. I didn't notice the extra toes :( But they are still cute as ever. I love the silliness that the silkies bring. Its the extra smile I get on my face daily when I go outside to see the girls (well hope my silkies are girls as my other 5 are :) )

When you say deformities what are you talking about? Extra toes? I think my silkies have extra toes and compared to my 2 RIR, 2 BO and 1 Laced Wydonette. This is how they were coming home. I didn't notice the extra toes :( But they are still cute as ever. I love the silliness that the silkies bring. Its the extra smile I get on my face daily when I go outside to see the girls (well hope my silkies are girls as my other 5 are :) )
Silkies do have 5 toes. I was referring more to crooked or bent toes that if taped early enough , can be corrected. Doesn't usually occur when they have been hatched naturally, it's more of an incubator issue, but it pays to be safe . It's just a regular health check that is easiest done whilst they are young. I also check for leg deformities and crooked beak. Special need chicks need to be identified early.

When you say deformities what are you talking about? Extra toes? I think my silkies have extra toes and compared to my 2 RIR, 2 BO and 1 Laced Wydonette.

This is how they were coming home. I didn't notice the extra toes :( But they are still cute as ever. I love the silliness that the silkies bring. Its the extra smile I get on my face daily when I go outside to see the girls (well hope my silkies are girls as my other 5 are :) )

Yep, Silkies are normally supposed to have 5 toes on each foot - but anomalies can occur sometimes - like 4 toes each foot, or 6 toes on one foot and 4 toes on the other, or two toes growing webbed rather than separate (forgot the name for it), and even heard of some born with a straight comb? although that sounds like something got crossbred lol. Yes, Silkies are sweeties. Ours make us smile all the time. My DH says he can't imagine us ever being without a couple of them.

Back
Top Bottom