Silkie thread!

Sadly, Marygold didn't make it. She started shaking, making little noises, and flapping her wings, then stopped breathing... I'm not sure what happened but all the other chickens (and ducks) seemed fine except my EE Clover, but she is doing better now. We don't have a vet that cares for chickens that is nearby, so I will makesure to get a chicken first-aid kit, we had one but when our ducks were duckings the kit was underneath the shelf that their brooder was on and it got ruined from the water they splashed out... Anyway, thanks for the help :(
Since you lost Marygold so quickly do you think it might've been the Avian Influenza - it takes birds fast. Missouri is one of many Midwest States confirmed with it. If you start losing more birds it's something to consider.

The hardest part of losing a bird is watching it take its last gasping breath before it expires and closes its eyes for the last time. So-o-o-o sad. Don't bury her little body in your yard in case of something contagious for future flocks. I am so sorry for your little bird but at least she wasn't alone.

Sounds like she was outside in the weather if she was in a mud puddle? Silkies can be fragile and need a dry, covered pen and to be housed with other docile bantam breeds.

Sorry you lost her.
hugs.gif

What is wrong with my friend's silkie's feet? Bumblefoot? Thanks!
I tend to agree with Rowsdower, looks like scaley leg mite. If it is not treated the bird could become crippled or even loose toes. There are many remedies but I use Vicks chest rub (The generic is only a couple of dollars ) . At night is the best time to handle the bird. Completely cover the legs, between each toe and the underside of the foot. Make sure you go right up the shank into the feather line. Messy job and I would recommend wearing disposable gloves. The idea is to smother the little rotters so lather it on good and thick. Check the rest of the flock , whilst they might not be as severe , chances are they have it too. Spray the perches with pemrethrin or pyrethrum based surface spray whilst the birds are outside.

Sorry about Marygold. Many times with chickens we don't know why they died.
hugs.gif

One of my 3 month olds was really panting with eyes closed today. 95 degrees. I took him and dunked him, his feet legs and tummy. Funny how they don't struggle when they realize it feels good. After that, no more panting.

I am still praying that my group of 10 with at least 4 males keeps getting along. So far so good.
fl.gif

My current "most interesting" colored Silkie:

As a chick, she looked like a reeeeally pale, diluted grey/blue partridge. Now, she has a lavender/grey undertone, creamy straw backside area, and a dusting of red. I want to say she's silver partridge with red leakage, but not really sure if that's the 'proper' terminology. ^^; Also not sure of her lineage, though there were two others that looked just like her in that hatch. She's the only one I still have, and I doubt I have her mother now. Ahh the joys of a mixed color flock lol!
Anyway, she's super lovely, and I thought I'd share! Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom