Silkie thread!

If you add the incubation period , it would be closer to 12 weeks.
smile.png
Ok. Is that not too long, tho? They may prove different and come out some random color, but as of today they look splashish. (which I would love)

Hello a couple of weeks ago I got a brown Chinese Silkie Bantam Hen her name is Sue she is 9yrs old and is broody at the present. She is not very used to people and is not good with my other chickens (all cross breeds but no bantams) so she gets picked on a lot by the other hens. I am wondering (since you have 60) if you could give me some advice? As I said before at the present she is broody and I have a broody coop I'm trying to decide on whether or not to get her a chick or two? The chicks will be brown shavers ( as you can tell the gender from their colouring) and day olds do you think she would possibly take them in as her own? Thank You I appreciate any advice

Hello a couple of weeks ago I got a brown Chinese Silkie Bantam Hen her name is Sue she is 9yrs old and is broody at the present. She is not very used to people and is not good with my other chickens (all cross breeds but no bantams) so she gets picked on a lot by the other hens. I am wondering (since you have 60) if you could give me some advice? As I said before at the present she is broody and I have a broody coop I'm trying to decide on whether or not to get her a chick or two? The chicks will be brown shavers ( as you can tell the gender from their colouring) and day olds do you think she would possibly take them in as her own? Thank You I appreciate any advice 

9yrs old is a ripe old age for a chicken. Silkies are great Broodiies , mine raise most of my wyandotte and sussex chicks.
The best time to introduce chicks is after dark. The hen is more likely to think that they are hers when she wakes up in the morning. You will need to have a back up plan though, just in the event that she rejects them. :)

My Silkies get picked on when they go broody - they get pecked and chased plus they don't get along well with others during this hormonal time. Introducing your Silkie to the main flock when she is broody (or molting) is not wise IMO. And whenever I introduce new birds to the main flock I have a fence between so they see each other and have a few days to get used to being together without actual contact. Then I remove the fencing. A flock will pick on any newcomer so introduce the poor dear gradually through fencing first - wait until her broody time is over. Some people have sneaked in a new bird at roost time so the new and the old birds see each other in the morning as if they had always been together but it never worked for me. The older hens are too smart and notice a newcomer and in the confinement of a coop can really injure a new flockmate. Also I believe if a Silkie is going to be the only small bird in the flock then there should be TWO Silkies to toodle around together. A single small bird in the flock can become the target of unwelcome bullying. Wait for your broody's time to be over before putting her in with old hens plus get a Silkie companion bird - but also after her broody time is over.

Handling your broody's problem is not my thing so will leave that advice to others.

Help! My silkie chick that is about 11 weeks old is very sick/dying. I went outside to feed them and she was laying in the mud. I thought she was dead until I heard peeping and her foot moved. I don't know what happened but I brought her inside and set her in front of a heater. I have been trying to feed her feed mixed with warm water out of a spoon and my sister is going to the store to get save-a-chick, but I am not sure what else to do. Please help me save Marygold :(!

Help! My silkie chick that is about 11 weeks old is very sick/dying. I went outside to feed them and she was laying in the mud. I thought she was dead until I heard peeping and her foot moved. I don't know what happened but I brought her inside and set her in front of a heater. I have been trying to feed her feed mixed with warm water out of a spoon and my sister is going to the store to get save-a-chick, but I am not sure what else to do. Please help me save Marygold :(!

We all want to see Marygold saved but without seeing her or knowing what her symptoms are (pain, loss of appetite, injury under the feathers somewhere, etc), I can't help. Emergency situations like this is exactly why we lined up in advance a veterinarian that sees birds/chickens and why we have a chicken first-aid cabinet with all the medicines and products all in one place readily available.

I found a vet in advance but didn't need him until one year later when our Silkie started breathing and wheezing so badly we sat up with her all night and then rushed her into the vet's office as soon as it opened. There are so many things that happen to chickens and many maladies have the same symptoms that only a vet knows for certain what the problem is. Seems like if something happens to chickens it's usually under 6 months old. I hope your little girl will be ok!

Getting her dry and warm is the first course of action. Once she has stabilized offer her some scrambled egg. Be very careful about forcing her drink. It's very easy to aspirate a chicken, a drop at a time is best. The electrolytes are a good idea. :)

Sadly, Marygold didn't make it. She started shaking, making little noises, and flapping her wings, then stopped breathing... I'm not sure what happened but all the other chickens (and ducks) seemed fine except my EE Clover, but she is doing better now. We don't have a vet that cares for chickens that is nearby, so I will makesure to get a chicken first-aid kit, we had one but when our ducks were duckings the kit was underneath the shelf that their brooder was on and it got ruined from the water they splashed out... Anyway, thanks for the help :(

Back
Top Bottom