Silkie thread!

My sickie just hatched three chicks today but I noticed their bums were wet and when I investigated I noticed there vents look a little strang...this is my first time having silkie chicks so... Is this normal?

Could be omphalitis . If the area is swollen or wet dab it with some betadine several times a day and leave it alone. Be sure to keep it warm. Did you assist them in hatching ?
It's important not to pull any umbilical chord away.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis

I didn't do any assisting, but I think the momma did. She was pecking at the ones that we're getting ready to hatch. They aren't full bread silkie, they are part Rodeisland red. Could that have something to do with it?

They are looking better, although the littlest was still a little weak this morning. I haven't been home since then so I hope she is still doing okay, she was playing with the others and eating/drinking she just was a little wobbly.

They are looking better, although the littlest was still a little weak this morning. I haven't been home since then so I hope she is still doing okay, she was playing with the others and eating/drinking she just was a little wobbly.

Keep an eye on the area, it might be worth your while to stock up on some ' save a chick ' or poultry vitamins . If the area is dry and feathered the siblings are less inclined to peck at it.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...84af9fa2600f00000499/533884b09fa2600f000004ae

How long can a rooster's um, mounting, well the results of a mounting, last with a hen?
I had a blue silkie rooster that got killed by a dog around March. And then two weeks ago--ish-- my BO hen hatched 4 silkie chicks, two of which look splash. And I no longer have a blue rooster. I do, however, have a white silkie rooster, but these babies aren't pure white, for sure. Also, a silkie chick in question of color a while back, has black barring on tail feathers on some wing feathers. How do you get black barring with white silkies, buff silkies, partridge silkies, and maybe the blue rooster silkie? No blacks at all. And it is defiantly pure silkie.
And also, will a partridge rooster over white hen (both silkies) always produce the exact same looking babies?
Thanks for help ahead of time, and if I need to simplify that any, do tell.

How long can a rooster's um, mounting, well the results of a mounting, last with a hen? 
I had a blue silkie rooster that got killed by a dog around March. And then two weeks ago--ish-- my BO hen hatched 4 silkie chicks, two of which look splash. And I no longer have a blue rooster. I do, however, have a white silkie rooster, but these babies aren't pure white, for sure. Also, a silkie chick in question of color a while back, has black barring on tail feathers on some wing feathers. How do you get black barring with white silkies, buff silkies, partridge silkies, and maybe the blue rooster silkie? No blacks at all. And it is defiantly pure silkie. 
And also, will a partridge rooster over white hen (both silkies) always produce the exact same looking babies? 
Thanks for help ahead of time, and if I need to simplify that any, do tell.

The ovum can be fertile several weeks after the rooster has been removed. This is very important to consider when selling fertile eggs. I had a rogue roo mate with my prize sussex and was unable to collect eggs (for sale ) for 6 weeks.

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_long_hens.html

Last edited:
The ovum can be fertile several weeks after the rooster has been removed. This is very important to consider when selling fertile eggs. I had a rouge roo mate with my prize sussex and was unable to collect eggs (for sale ) for 6 weeks.

http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_long_hens.html
Ok, thanks. But it's been longer than 6 weeks, and these babies really look splash to me. I have a buff silkie hen, so what would white rooster over buff hen make? I posted a pic of the babies a couple weeks back.

Back
Top Bottom