Silkie thread!

Here's recent videos of our Silkies I took:

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

Thank you for viewing!

We have had a friendly visitor the last couple of days. This black/greenish chicken came by herself and now hangs out with my silkies, haha. Our bigger chickens don't like having her around tho. What kind of chicken is she?

I am trying to wrap my head around a *specials* coop that will have Silkies and cochin frizzles in it.

Here in Texas for the winter [COLOR=EE82EE]do I need an enclosed coop for these breeds?[/COLOR]

Everything I read says *draft free* but I am assuming that is for the people north of here. Where they get snow and blisters from the cold. because of the feather composition and smaller size are they able to hold in enough body heat to stay warm and healthy if I only had a 3 sided structure with a covered run for them or should I put a bit more construction into it maybe a removable front for summer?

Even a panel to cover half the front area would suffice. If you are in an area that experiences frosts. Frost + draught = frost bite. Whilst the walnut comb is less inclines to be affected by frost bite , I've seen toes amputated as a result of it.

Here's recent videos of our Silkies I took:

Great Vids i love the silkies and Red and Whitie are wonderful!

Thank you for viewing!

Quote: Great thanks I wasnt sure if they would be able to stay warm with the feathers being different. didnt think about frost bite. we do get some frost nights.

We have had a friendly visitor the last couple of days. This black/greenish chicken came by herself and now hangs out with my silkies, haha. Our bigger chickens don't like having her around tho. What kind of chicken is she?

Kinda looks like my Zeta only I cant find a pic of her this is Brady she has more orange around her face. Zeta has none. but they were sold to me a Jerseys

Great thanks I wasnt sure if they would be able to stay warm with the feathers being different. didnt think about frost bite. we do get some frost nights. Kinda looks like my Zeta only I cant find a pic of her this is Brady she has more orange around her face. Zeta has none. but they were sold to me a Jerseys
Not sure they have jersey chickens in NZ, but with that full black eye , my guess would be australorp.

12 weeks old and I can't sex them all. There are a few getting a big bumpy comb, and there are a few who can't miss being female. But there's about 4 that I just can't tell, like mixed signals. I know I'll be having a bachelor pad.

Back
Top Bottom