Silkie thread!

My white silkies seem to have a thin layer of feathers where my greys are very thick. They are all about 3 months. Will the white thicken up as time goes on?

My Partridge Silkie 5-yrs-old is very thickly fluffed and weighs 2.4-lb. My Black Silkie 41/2 yrs old is not thickly fluffed but feels softer and weighs 2.2-lb. The Partridge always felt like she had sturdier thicker fur and the Black has always been thinner but softer-fluffed. DH and I always talk about the difference but never thought to pose the question to other Silkie owners.

Can size indicate if it's a boy or girl? I have 2 partridge silkie chicks I hatched out the same day. 1 is twice the size of the other. I'm wondering if it could be a cockerel..
smile.png

My question is whether the chick's chipmunk stripes indicate whether the sex is discernible like other partridge chicken breeds?

My Partridge Silkie 5-yrs-old is very thickly fluffed and weighs 2.4-lb.  My Black Silkie 4[SUP]1/2[/SUP] yrs old is not thickly fluffed but feels softer and weighs 2.2-lb.  The Partridge always felt like she had sturdier thicker fur and the Black has always been thinner but softer-fluffed.  DH and I always talk about the difference but never thought to pose the question to other Silkie owners.

New at this byc thread responding. ..
My thinner coated is actually more coarse then my grey. My grey seems to show pollish genes, white more silkie. Hen of brood was silkie, cockeral a sizzle. I guess somewhere in cocks genes was a polish at some point. Unsure if this sizzle component has given the white the coarser, straggly coat or what. I hope after 1st molt it thickens up. The other white of same brood has softer, thicker coat; but it is also larger and male.

New at this byc thread responding. ..
My thinner coated is actually more coarse then my grey. My grey seems to show pollish genes, white more silkie. Hen of brood was silkie, cockeral a sizzle. I guess somewhere in cocks genes was a polish at some point. Unsure if this sizzle component has given the white the coarser, straggly coat or what. I hope after 1st molt it thickens up. The other white of same brood has softer, thicker coat; but it is also larger and male.

Looking at the picture you posted, your Silkie looks to be frizzled. That may have something to do with the thinner feathers. Though, I haven't noticed my frizzled Silkies looking thinner, but its a feather mutation that can express differently on different birds (how tight or loose the curl is, for example).

I have a 18-20 week old silkie hen named daisy. Today I noticed she had dug into the dirt like a nest. She is pretty skittish but when I came close to her she didn't move. And when she did she went back to the same spot right away. Do you think she's close to laying? Or that's what she's trying to do?

Can size indicate if it's a boy or girl? I have 2 partridge silkie chicks I hatched out the same day. 1 is twice the size of the other. I'm wondering if it could be a cockerel.. :)

I haven't found size to be a reliable sexing tool, not until they are 12-14 weeks old at least.
Sexing silkies is very 'hit and miss ' , but that's just part of their uniqueness.

Back
Top Bottom