Silkie thread!

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and pretty new to chickens.

Figured first, I'd say hi and looking forward to many years of enjoying out silkies.

We started with a scavanged pallet - repurposed into a coop and 5 buff/red silkies - all supposed to be pullets.

These are our girls. At least 2 are laying, maybe 3.

We've since upgraded to a larger, more secure and much nicer coop and I decided to add 4 chicks today as well.

Can you guys tell from the pic what color these should turn out to be? I was told the 3 smaller are blue and the one slightly larger one is a black one.

These are supposed to be "show quality" stock but never know until they get bigger I guess. Sorry for the not so great pic. I'll try and get a better one tomorrow.

Added these little ones because I wanted to add some color to our flock. Hoping we end up with a single rooster but time will also tell with that.

Hello all, I'm new to the site and pretty new to chickens. Figured first, I'd say hi and looking forward to many years of enjoying out silkies. We started with a scavanged pallet - repurposed into a coop and 5 buff/red silkies - all supposed to be pullets. These are our girls. At least 2 are laying, maybe 3. We've since upgraded to a larger, more secure and much nicer coop and I decided to add 4 chicks today as well. Can you guys tell from the pic what color these should turn out to be? I was told the 3 smaller are blue and the one slightly larger one is a black one. These are supposed to be "show quality" stock but never know until they get bigger I guess. Sorry for the not so great pic. I'll try and get a better one tomorrow. Added these little ones because I wanted to add some color to our flock. Hoping we end up with a single rooster but time will also tell with that.
Those Buff ladies are so pretty! All four of those look blue to me (at least, I'm pretty sure there are four in that photo - that pile of fur in the middle is two chicks, right?). Too young to tell quality or gender very well, they don't look obviously hatchery quality though, and I'm sure you'll end up with at least one boy out of the four. :)

Our buff girls are sweethearts. (there is an extra one in the picture she was a mix and is now a friends bird).

Yes there are 4 in the picture. 3 are about 2 weeks and looks like the other is about 3-4 weeks as its a bit bigger and has more developed feathers. Glad blue sounds right. I think those are prettier anyways :D

Any idea on these two? Rooster or pullet? I was so excited when I got them that I didn't think to ask their age. The first two pictures are what they looked like when I brought them home. The last 6 are what they look like now. We've had them for 6 weeks. Thank you for looking =)

These pictures we just taken 2 days ago

Last edited:
Decided to move them into a broader inside for now. Big chickens were not thrilled of these new arrivals.

Decided to move them into a broader inside for now. Big chickens were not thrilled of these new arrivals.
They are so cute! I am also new to chickens but when I got the two new babies, I was told to put them in the coop after it's dark and the older ones are in bed for the night, and when they wake up they will think that the new arrivals have always been there. I was very skeptical but I tried it and it worked! Now and then a hen would pick on one of the babies, but I watched them closely and provided a place for the babies to get away from the older ones. They didn't go overboard with the picking.

Back
Top Bottom