Silkie thread!

He's just over 5 months. Neither him or the paint have crowed. At this point it's a pet regardless. Whenever I'm out in the yard "it's" very inquisitive about everything I'm doing. That's why it's my little buddy.......
1f60b.png

Aw! That's cute! To me it just doesn't scream rooster so my guess is pullet, but I could be wrong on this one! Lol, he/she is beautiful though!

Anyone have thoughts? Not sure if this pic helps but here's a full body pic of her.

Um, if you were meaning thoughts about your initial question, I'd say that the size of the wattles doesn't always have a clear answer as to whether it's a hen or a rooster because I have seen roosters with small wattles and hens with large, but generally a hen's wattles won't get as big as a rooster's will. But I'd say how fast a chicken develops it's wattles as it's growing could be an indication as to gender, same with the comb because growing roosters get their combs and wattles long before hens do. Now, as to the gender of that cute little Silkie, I'd say it was a girl, but I think you've already got that since you said she's.
1f609.png

hen or rooster silkie is 4 months old I never heard or saw it crow yet what color would this silkie be called

Last edited:

hen or rooster silkie is 4 months old I never heard or saw it crow yet what color would this silkie be called

For color I'd guess some kind of Partridge but I'm not sure, I'm sure one of the amazing experts on here might know though. I'd say you have yourself a hen so far, but with silkies it's hard to tell, especially with really fluffy, good quality silkies, you might just have to wait for a crow or an egg.
1f609.png
But so far no streamers or sickle feathers are prevalent so my guess would be hen for now.
263a.png

Has anyone ever let a broody mom hatch and raise her chicks in the winter. I have a broody, that I was thinking about letting hatch babies, but with winter coming on I am afraid they would not make it. Thanks

Has anyone ever let a broody mom hatch and raise her chicks in the winter.  I have a broody, that I was thinking about letting hatch babies, but with winter coming on I am afraid they would not make it.  Thanks
yeah, but I had her in a small pen in my house and lived in Arizona. My aunt is not letting her guinea hatch the eggs she was stashing up as it is too cold here in Idaho.

Back
Top Bottom